Am I eligible for a contextual offer if I go to a grammar school?

Watch
eighthirty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am from a low income family.
Neither of my parents went to university.
I live in quintile 2 but I go to a grammar school.
Will this mean I am no longer eligible?
Tashax2
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by eighthirty)
I am from a low income family.
Neither of my parents went to university.
I live in quintile 2 but I go to a grammar school.
Will this mean I am no longer eligible?
Check on the website for the uni you are applying to as it’s different for some unis
Squiggles1238
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I agree with above commenter, every uni will have different requirements so its best to look on the individual websites, and when in doubt, email someone from the uni who might be able to help
Hellowo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've applied to uni and got contextual offers from all my universities. I used some eligibility checkers before applying to see if I can get contextual offers and most said yes, to which then I did get contextual offers, so I think they are fairly accurate.

So if you want to check if you are eligible, you can go on several university's contextual offer eligibility tester thing.

Here's one for UCL
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...ess-ucl-scheme

This isn't a definite indication of whether you will be eligible, but it can be used as a kind of rough guide to whether you can get a contextual offer.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Some Unis will use your home postcode, but they will use it it in different ways and utilise different socio-economic indexes.
A few Unis will give Contextual offers based on your school's exam/progression to HE data - Bristol and Aberystwyth are two examples, and there may be others. Other Unis will use a combination of all of this.

You need to google the name of your intended University and 'Contextual Offer' to find the appropriate page on their websites. Some Universities are very vague about how they determine eligibility - Sussex as one example - unhelpful as it means you can't be certain of your eligibility for a lower offer before you apply.

Its all a bit of a muddle and it would be so much easier for everyone if there was a bit more consistency between Universities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (129)
34.96%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (49)
13.28%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (22)
5.96%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (36)
9.76%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (49)
13.28%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (43)
11.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (41)
11.11%

Watched Threads