The Student Room Group

Universities with mostly law coursework HELP!

I want to study law and criminology, or just a law degree (haven’t fully decided yet). But my problem is that i hate exams, i preform very poorly in them in comparison to coursework in which i excel in and always get the top grades. My question is that which university (with a high ranking and looks good in future law firms) will be mostly assessed via coursework.

Scroll to see replies

This question pops up again and again. The general rule is that for the first two years of a qualifying law degree you don't really get any choice in what you study and it is very much a 50/50 split on coursework and exams at all universities. Then in your third year you get to choose your modules and you can choose these by assessment if you wish. I know people who had no exams in third year by choice. Just be aware that if you are picking based purely upon assessment type then you will potentially miss out on a subject that you would enjoy or are interested in.
Original post by one_two_three
This question pops up again and again. The general rule is that for the first two years of a qualifying law degree you don't really get any choice in what you study and it is very much a 50/50 split on coursework and exams at all universities. Then in your third year you get to choose your modules and you can choose these by assessment if you wish. I know people who had no exams in third year by choice. Just be aware that if you are picking based purely upon assessment type then you will potentially miss out on a subject that you would enjoy or are interested in.

this wasn't true at my uni (mid tier RG in a northern city) or that of many of my friends

first and second year were mostly exams, with some coursework as a top up. third year varied more but there were still exams
Original post by EU Yakov
this wasn't true at my uni (mid tier RG in a northern city) or that of many of my friends

first and second year were mostly exams, with some coursework as a top up. third year varied more but there were still exams

I know quite a few with more of a 50/50 split, but then again the subjects were split so contract, tort etc. had an exam and an assignment which gave it more of an equal weighting. Third year most people I know had a mix of exams and assignments but I had a couple of friends that chose their modules specifically for the assessment and so had no exams - they also had a very odd mix of modules so it is possible.
Original post by one_two_three
I know quite a few with more of a 50/50 split, but then again the subjects were split so contract, tort etc. had an exam and an assignment which gave it more of an equal weighting. Third year most people I know had a mix of exams and assignments but I had a couple of friends that chose their modules specifically for the assessment and so had no exams - they also had a very odd mix of modules so it is possible.

ah okay. possible we're just talking about different unis
York uni is basically all coursework for law. They have a different learning style compared to most other unis.
Reply 6
Original post by Hassan116
York uni is basically all coursework for law. They have a different learning style compared to most other unis.

I’ll check it out, thank you!
york law with criminology is AAB in requirements!
Don’t forget a lot of places may have changed things last minute last summer due to covid.

Move has been pretty much exams for all with 25% coursework (bar contra t annoyingly went 100% coursework over 100% exam at last minute)

Final year now and I have one compulsory subject with 25% coursework, all optional ones I picked are 100% exams
Reply 9
Original post by ipsabhatt
york law with criminology is AAB in requirements!

Yeah I’ve just checked and with just law its a*, never gonna happen 🤣
Reply 10
Original post by Catherine1973
Don’t forget a lot of places may have changed things last minute last summer due to covid.

Move has been pretty much exams for all with 25% coursework (bar contra t annoyingly went 100% coursework over 100% exam at last minute)

Final year now and I have one compulsory subject with 25% coursework, all optional ones I picked are 100% exams

Oh wow. Good luck with your final exam!
Original post by Yilmaz03
Yeah I’ve just checked and with just law its a*, never gonna happen 🤣

They also image.jpgoffer law with criminology like you want
Reply 12
They also image.jpgoffer law with criminology like you want.

Yeah, I’ve seen. Thank you :smile: The grade boundaries are too high for me baha.
Yeah, I’ve seen. Thank you :smile: The grade boundaries are too high for me baha.

What type of grade boundaries are you looking for? Cardiff is at ABB and Dundee is at ABB or even lower
Reply 14
What type of grade boundaries are you looking for? Cardiff is at ABB and Dundee is at ABB or even lower

ABB is what I’m hoping to get.
ABB is what I’m hoping to get.

Lancaster were in clearing last year
i'm pretty sure if ur quick you can get a place there its a good uni but not Russel group
Hi I'm studying law with criminology in September. My firm choice is Cardiff for ABB and my insurance is Worcester which I was given a contextual offer for CCC whereas the grades were BBB for the course.

Cardiff has more written exams than coursework and Worcester it's just a range.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Lancaster were in clearing last year
i'm pretty sure if ur quick you can get a place there its a good uni but not Russel group

Thank you!
Reply 18
Original post by x_cait13_x
Hi I'm studying law with criminology in September. My firm choice is Cardiff for ABB and my insurance is Worcester which I was given a contextual offer for CCC whereas the grades were BBB for the course.

Cardiff has more written exams than coursework and Worcester it's just a range.

Oh wow, thank you!! I was looking at Worcester earlier :smile:
I want to study law and criminology, or just a law degree (haven’t fully decided yet). But my problem is that i hate exams, i preform very poorly in them in comparison to coursework in which i excel in and always get the top grades. My question is that which university (with a high ranking and looks good in future law firms) will be mostly assessed via coursework.

Leeds is mostly coursework compared with Manchester that is mostly exam (incase your interested in them with them being the 2 most popular unis for applicants)

Quick Reply