The Student Room Group

Will you be watching Prince Philip's funeral?

Scroll to see replies

I'm glad that so many British people do want to honour the life of an immigrant who spent most of his life living off public handouts. I hope this generosity of spirit endures.
Just to add on, you know we pay for the royal family’s events such as funerals, coronations and weddings right? Another reason the monarchy is a waste, capitalism at its finest. And I hate the fact we even have the “commonwealth”, like okay, you’re still colonising the countries you conquered in the past, so fun & quirky, wow. I don’t care how much “good” the royal family has done (bare in mind, they have done “good” from the expenses of the working class), I will always see them as a bunch of famous human beings who I have no emotional bond with. Defund the royal family. Lmao. And if you’re a royalist and I’ve upset you... good.
Reply 22
Original post by the bear
No. The funeral is a private family occasion. It is not a public spectacle.

OH yes it is!
Original post by NJA
curiosity killed the cat

but satisfaction brought it back
Original post by the bear
No. The funeral is a private family occasion. It is not a public spectacle.

If the publics money has paid for it in any way then it should be a public spectacle.
No, when he was born he was a prince of Greece and Denmark he migrated to Britain as a child and became a naturalised British subject in 1947 just before the official announcement of his engagement to Princess Elizabeth. He was not a British subject by descent but by naturalisation. Philip's maternal grandfather Prince Louis of Battenberg became a naturalised British subject soon after Philip was born. That act conferred nothing on his young grandson.
Probably not. I have been inside St George's Chapel and it is very beautiful.
Reply 27
Yes, I will be watching.
Why? Prince Philip, despite his faults, did a lot of good for our nation and I'm a huge fan of the monarchy. I want to see the man honoured. I love all the pomp and ceremony.
no cuz i dont support how our taxes are being paid lavishly to support other ppl who are of the same importance to us. what has the queen ever done to earn a million pounds? nothing. this could easily be spent on ppl living on the streets or the nhs who r struggling financially. While she lives in buckingham palace there’ll be a beggar a street away. especially in london. She just needs to live like the rest of us because she is of the same relevance to us.when i die i won’t have it aired on tv and she will because she has a crown on her head?!
edit:the queen could easily be replaced with the royal family in general
(edited 3 years ago)
We know that all the European royal families are intertwined. That's not the question. The facts are that Philip came to Britain as an immigrant and became naturalised in 1947 in order to marry the Queen. Lord Dilhorne made this dubious announcement in the year of the Queen and Philip's silver wedding, therefore his opinion had no bearing on what went before. If he, or anyone else, believed he was British at birth he wouldn't have become a naturalised British subject. (Dilhorne was, of course, a member of the British nobility).
Ok let's say we believe Dilhorne on this (he was wrong on a lot of other stuff). that doesn't retrospectively change the fact that Phili pentered the UK as an immigrant and was later granted naturalisation.
Original post by Kogomogo
If the publics money has paid for it in any way then it should be a public spectacle.

the public wish to pay for an apostrophe for you..... '
Yes
I’m watching bc my parents are watching and I want to see any family drama between Prince William and Harry should there be any :hide:
(edited 3 years ago)
maybe so i can be the first to make memes about it :heart:
Original post by boomsicles48
like the kardashians, famous becuase of their ancestors/parents and who they were born into so not any of their doing or hardwork, unlike us commoners who have to work to become famous and get some basic recognition, they should also not get that much fame, anyway what do they even do, apart from take taxes and money for fancy ****?

I thought the Kardashians got famous because of Kim and their reality show, not their ancestors. I'm sure that took a bit of work, maybe not going to uni and passing exams type of work, but they didn't get it all handed to them. Of course, it's also the people's fault for making them a huge thing.

(Not a fan of the Kardashians btw, just wanted to point out that they can't really be compared to the royal family)
No. If I’m being honest I’m not sad about it. I was sad about kobe Bryant’s death and still I wouldn’t watch the funeral that’s so depressing
(edited 3 years ago)
I will be tuning in yes, probably not attended all the way through. I respect the man.
Reply 37
Original post by Moonlight rain
No.

That's pretty negative
Original post by PhoenixRose338
I thought the Kardashians got famous because of Kim and their reality show, not their ancestors. I'm sure that took a bit of work, maybe not going to uni and passing exams type of work, but they didn't get it all handed to them. Of course, it's also the people's fault for making them a huge thing.

(Not a fan of the Kardashians btw, just wanted to point out that they can't really be compared to the royal family)

If by work you mean sleeping with rapper Ray J, then sure
Original post by NJA
That's pretty negative

What’s negative is watching a funeral. Why would i want to be sad

Quick Reply

Latest