Poll: What factors affect your mental health the most right now? 2021 edition

Watch
Poll: What factors affect your mental health the most right now?
Anxiousness about lockdown easing (245)
4.82%
Uncertainty around my education (725)
14.26%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (597)
11.74%
Lack of purpose or motivation (694)
13.65%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (248)
4.88%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (297)
5.84%
Loneliness (429)
8.44%
Financial worries (199)
3.91%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (198)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (235)
4.62%
Lack of real life entertainment (288)
5.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (460)
9.05%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (470)
9.24%
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Since COVID-19 entered our lives more than a year ago, it's had a huge impact on everyone's lives, including on mental health.

Statistically, coronavirus has had a huge impact on the mental health of young people specifically.
  • This report from June 2020 shows depression highest amongst 18-29 year olds. It’s part of a big research project from UCL on this and other impacts of the pandemic across age groups – incredible reading.
  • One in four young people (26%) admit they feel ‘unable to cope with life’ since the start of the pandemic. Half of 16-25 year olds say their mental health has worsened since the start of the pandemic, and more than half of young people (16-25) feel anxious most or all of the time – according to The Prince’s Trust Tesco Youth Index Report 2021.

On TSR, you might also notice you're seeing more ads for Samaritans, Student Space (run by Student Minds) and Papyrus around the site. This is a project we're all working on together to increase signposting to these wonderful mental health helplines, so please do reach out to them if you need support.

In April last year, we asked you what was impacting your health most right now. Back then, it was a lack of purpose/routine, and uncertainty around education that was the most challenging.

So a year on, we wanted to ask what are the biggest things affecting your mental health right now?

Can you share with us a little bit of your story?

Is there access to particular support networks or tools you've struggled to get during the pandemic?

What positive steps have you been taking toward managing you mental health?

Where have you gone for support during this time?

Has the gradual easing of restrictions impacted your mental health positively or negatively?
Last edited by BlinkyBill; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
My mental health right now is terrible, as for many students: I'm following a university cursus that is very academic and demanding, with lockdown we had all our lectures online so we never met our professors which makes contact a tad more difficult, I'm not passionate by my studies so with the covid on top of it my motivation is nowhere to be found, and finally I feel like I wasted my young years, especially this year because I was going to move out from my parents and I had work opportunities abroad. I happen to live with high-risk people so I hardly went out since the beginning of the pandemic to protect them (I went out like ten times since March 17th 2020) and I'm now really understanding how much it drained my energy and affected my eating and sleeping habits. I'm still hanging in, but it's been a looong year and I'm desperate for the pandemic to end, as we all are.
I'm not currently living in the UK, so there is no easing of the restrictions yet, but at the end of the second lockdown I was hoping that it would last longer so that we would get rid of this disease once and for all (which is quite selfish when I think about all the people suffering from the lockdowns, I agree)
BeniBeni
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Bad.

I am living Either in automatic mode or taking Fluoxetine
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Extremely bad. I planned on going to uni in 2020 and deferred for this year's entry bc of the pandemic. My mental health has never been this bad. On top of that, I'm finding it hard to find any job which is gonna affect me in the future. Living with my family which is full of toxic people has another toll on my mental health. Tbh, I don't even have the will to live anymore...
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Extremely bad. I planned on going to uni in 2020 and deferred for this year's entry bc of the pandemic. My mental health has never been this bad. On top of that, I'm finding it hard to find any job which is gonna affect me in the future. Living with my family which is full of toxic people has another toll on my mental health. Tbh, I don't even have the will to live anymore...
What usually helps me deal with life is hope, and more specifically thoughts like "in a year it will be so much better", I just have to hold on and live day by day until I get there and I know I will get there someday because there's no reason for me not to. Also, for having done a first depression four years ago, once you're out of it life seems so easy and refreshing for a while, so that can give you something to look forward to and help you gain energy for your day-to-day tasks. Hope this helps somehow, good luck!
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by allenpc)
I can't cope... I want to give up and die
Don’t we all. Most of us are thinking it but few will say it.
Aabbyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Mine's not good. There is just so much to happen that we never wanted to happen other than pandemic..
JDINCINERATOR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
To improve your mental health I think it's important to lower your expectations of the world around you. Having high expectations can open you up to a lot of disappointment and when you aren't getting what you're expecting over and over again it builds and builds up-which can really become a problem for your mental health.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
ditto, I feel you. It's hard rn. I'm in uni and really struggling so so much. x
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
i'm struggling
2003a39
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's been getting worse since June of last year. March to June was pretty amazing though. All of my issues seem permanent though I've been declining for years. F------ done with life.
Anonymous #5
Report 2 weeks ago
I think I am doing well. I think lockdown has improved my mood because I have more time for myself which I've never really gotten before.
I feel less stressed and I think going outside helps greatly improves my mood.
My family is kind of **** but I just avoid them as much as possible since they are often the reason for me not doing alright
But I think knowing I'm leaving soon gives me hope so I can get thru it
Anonymous #6
Report 2 weeks ago
Not great.
I'm really stressed about my A level grades. I have a conditional offer for which the grade requirements are pretty high, and I know that I'm capable of achieving them but I'm really concerned about my further maths grade. I did a further maths mock last week, and I haven't got it back yet but it went dreadfully. I have another one next week, which I'm really stressed about. I need at least an A in further maths to meet the grade requirements, and I don't want to risk telling my teacher that I'm so stressed about it because we're obviously not allowed to ask what grades they're going to give us, and I don't want it to look like I'm trying to beg for higher grades if that makes any sense.
I also have social anxiety disorder which has got worse over the pandemic as I've spent the majority of it in my room by myself. My parents aren't helping - if I say I'm scared to do something because of my anxiety they'll usually tell me that I'm being stupid (am I very aware that most of my fears are irrational already), and the other day my father decided to call me r**arded when we were arguing over one of these fears. I called him out for using the r word because it's a literal slur used against people with intellectual disabilities, which made him even angrier. He started shouting stuff like "you are mentally disabled" "you're a slur on my life" "I'll just you a freak instead, because that's what you are." Which really didn't help my self esteem. He hasn't apologised for it.
And despite being stressed about my grades I have very little motivation. I am revising a bit, but it's really poor quality revision. I have this fear that I'm not achieving enough but I have no motivation to actually do anything.
2003a39
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not great.
I'm really stressed about my A level grades. I have a conditional offer for which the grade requirements are pretty high, and I know that I'm capable of achieving them but I'm really concerned about my further maths grade. I did a further maths mock last week, and I haven't got it back yet but it went dreadfully. I have another one next week, which I'm really stressed about. I need at least an A in further maths to meet the grade requirements, and I don't want to risk telling my teacher that I'm so stressed about it because we're obviously not allowed to ask what grades they're going to give us, and I don't want it to look like I'm trying to beg for higher grades if that makes any sense.
I also have social anxiety disorder which has got worse over the pandemic as I've spent the majority of it in my room by myself. My parents aren't helping - if I say I'm scared to do something because of my anxiety they'll usually tell me that I'm being stupid (am I very aware that most of my fears are irrational already), and the other day my father decided to call me r**arded when we were arguing over one of these fears. I called him out for using the r word because it's a literal slur used against people with intellectual disabilities, which made him even angrier. He started shouting stuff like "you are mentally disabled" "you're a slur on my life" "I'll just you a freak instead, because that's what you are." Which really didn't help my self esteem. He hasn't apologised for it.
And despite being stressed about my grades I have very little motivation. I am revising a bit, but it's really poor quality revision. I have this fear that I'm not achieving enough but I have no motivation to actually do anything.
Why do people have kids when they don't even try to understand their problems. I also have social anxiety symptoms and it's really difficult.
Anonymous #7
Report 2 weeks ago
I am currently/have been on the waiting list for camhs since last year september but I feel my mental health getting worse I generally just want to go straight to year 12 at the moment or just a long summer break. I badly need a fresh start
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BlinkyBill)
Since COVID-19 entered our lives more than a year ago, it's had a huge impact on everyone's lives, including on mental health.

Statistically, coronavirus has had a huge impact on the mental health of young people specifically.
  • This report from June 2020 shows depression highest amongst 18-29 year olds. It’s part of a big research project from UCL on this and other impacts of the pandemic across age groups – incredible reading.
  • One in four young people (26%) admit they feel ‘unable to cope with life’ since the start of the pandemic. Half of 16-25 year olds say their mental health has worsened since the start of the pandemic, and more than half of young people (16-25) feel anxious most or all of the time – according to The Prince’s Trust Tesco Youth Index Report 2021.

On TSR, you might also notice you're seeing more ads for Samaritans, Student Space (run by Student Minds) and Papyrus around the site. This is a project we're all working on together to increase signposting to these wonderful mental health helplines, so please do reach out to them if you need support.

In April last year, we asked you what was impacting your health most right now. Back then, it was a lack of purpose/routine, and uncertainty around education that was the most challenging.

So a year on, we wanted to ask what are the biggest things affecting your mental health right now?

Can you share with us a little bit of your story?

Is there access to particular support networks or tools you've struggled to get during the pandemic?

What positive steps have you been taking toward managing you mental health?

Where have you gone for support during this time?

Has the gradual easing of restrictions impacted your mental health positively or negatively?
My mental health has become worse. It was bad already in the pandemic, then the workload became more intense. I don't think I can cope if there is another lockdown.

I just feel so restricted, I don't feel happy. My health continues to deteriorate, and I feel lonely. I speak to friends over the phone, and snapchat. But genuienely, revision is keeping me at home, and i'm trying to do evening walks, but I feel so crap most of the time. I don't feel happy anymore, just numb. Started antidepressants, and they've helped, but I really feel like staying at home is not helping. But, if I move out, i'm so scared that i'll spiral out of control all over again, and my other worry is affordability, I have a training year for my course, and I may need to move out then, hence staying at home makes sense to save some money for now.

I just know if I live out alone, my mental health may become worse.
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
jesus christ why not just give us an "All of the above" button xD
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
this time last year, it was awful.

right now, it's the best it's ever been. It's definitely been one of those situations where I had to go through bad times to reach the good :yep:
Anonymous #8
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BeniBeni)
Bad.

I am living Either in automatic mode or taking Fluoxetine
I am trying to wean off that ATM. I hear you.
Calibann
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not great.
I am sorry you are going through this, sometimes parents don't realise how harsh their insensitivities can be to people with mental health issues.
It's not acceptable but family dynamic isn't easy. If you ever need any help, my inbox is always open.

I recommend a book called Untamed by Doyle and The Four Temperaments, if you are a reader. It will help you with your anxiety and esteem. You got this, we are all struggling and you feel alone but are not alone, we are all more alike than different; we just got to reach out and connect (as scary as it may seem sometimes). This goes out to everyone else reading too.
Last edited by Calibann; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (94)
14.05%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (75)
11.21%
Changed course offer (32)
4.78%
Clearing (46)
6.88%
Conditional offer (9)
1.35%
Deferral (28)
4.19%
Ucas Extra (77)
11.51%
First Generation or First in Family (22)
3.29%
Point of Entry (46)
6.88%
Self-release (96)
14.35%
Tariff Point (55)
8.22%
Unconditional offer (8)
1.2%
Withdrawal (19)
2.84%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (58)
8.67%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (4)
0.6%

Watched Threads