The Student Room Group

English and maths a level???

I enjoy both English and maths GCSE but is doing both for A level too hard? But I can't decide which one I prefer. If you do English/maths A level could you tell me what it's like. Is it very different from GCSE? Do you enjoy it? What other A levels do you do with it?
Btw my third option would either be politics or economics.
I don't think it's weird at all, I know people who do that combo. Only advice is watch the workload. I do English and its a lot of work, though workload at A-Level unsurprisingly increases. All depends on what course you want to do if you go to Uni and whether there are any requirements. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Aliza I would answer but that seems like a bad question so i wont
Reply 3
Original post by aayala
Aliza I would answer but that seems like a bad question so i wont

positive vibes only on my forums pls
No, it's not weird at all, those are two subjects I wanted to do. Maths is quite difficult but as long as you do lots of questions, you'll be fine.
Original post by alizalee
I enjoy both English and maths GCSE but is doing both for A level too hard? But I can't decide which one I prefer. If you do English/maths A level could you tell me what it's like. Is it very different from GCSE? Do you enjoy it? What other A levels do you do with it?

Hiya! I do A level maths and I will say it is quite hard (coming from someone who got an A* at GCSE). However, if you're willing to put the work in and you take time to understand the concepts, it can be enjoyable.

It's different from GCSE in the sense that you have mechanics and statistics as well as pure maths which is more like GCSE but just built upon. I have found mechanics tough as I don't do physics and statistics is equally as hard.

If you enjoyed it at GCSE, i'd say go for it as it's a very popular and versitile A-level, as is english. If you don't like maths though, my advice would be not to take it. I know so many people like that who are now stuck doing it. Really think... will you put the time in to revise and do practice questions? If so, then it's a yes.

As for English, I can't speak about it personally but I have a close friend who does both and she finds it nice a nice variety of subjetcs. Something like economics has a lot of maths so doing english with maths and economics would help to break it up a bit.

Hey :smile:

I did A-Level English Literature so I can try to offer my experience! Firstly, obviously as you would expect going up to A-Level the workload increases a lot! Throughout this A-Level there is so much reading (as expected) so I would really make sure you enjoy reading or feel like you could do it competently enough over the two years to understand the texts well enough :smile:

The level of analysis and interpretation is a lot harder although I don't think that should put you off! Once you adjust to it I found it to be fine. There are also lots of textbooks you can buy to help with this, and audio books.

I did enjoy the creativity that came alongside it though but obviously be prepared for the amount of reading and writing it includes- a LOT more than at GCSE! :smile:

Hope this helps! let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
Sian- UoP Rep

I'm taking English and Politics A-Levels right now -

English is almost identical to the GCSE. You get set books/plays/poems to study and your exams are based on them. The only difference is the increase in workload, but that won't differ from any other A-Level subject, and will be manageable considering all the free periods you're going to get. I would say that if you choose to do Maths and English it won't be too hard at all as you'll be getting similar workloads to most other A-Level students! They are also very different so it'll be nice to have a break from each subject.

Also, I really love Politics and would recommend it a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest