Is my Postgraduate Masters Eligible for Student Finance?

Watch
JaakMaddison
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello,

I am planning on doing a part-time masters which is complete via distance learning.

The length of the course is 2.5 to 7 years, meaning it can be done as soon as 2.5 years or as long as 7 years.

The course is offered full-time and it takes 1 year to complete, so the 2.5 years minimum for distance learning is longer than the maximum time period for part-time courses which is double the length of the full-time course.

Is my course eligible for the postgraduate loan?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JaakMaddison)
Hello,

I am planning on doing a part-time masters which is complete via distance learning.

The length of the course is 2.5 to 7 years, meaning it can be done as soon as 2.5 years or as long as 7 years.

The course is offered full-time and it takes 1 year to complete, so the 2.5 years minimum for distance learning is longer than the maximum time period for part-time courses which is double the length of the full-time course.

Is my course eligible for the postgraduate loan?
Hi Jaak, can you confirm the university name and exact course name please.
Thanks, Isaac
JaakMaddison
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi Jaak, can you confirm the university name and exact course name please.
Thanks, Isaac
Hello,

Heriot-Watt, Advanced Structural Engineering (Distance Learning)

Surrey University, Strucutral Engineering (Distance Learning)

Thanks
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello,

Heriot-Watt, Advanced Structural Engineering (Distance Learning)

Surrey University, Strucutral Engineering (Distance Learning)

Thanks
Our guidance states:

Students studying a distance learning postgraduate course will be eligible for funding. In order to be eligible:

SFE students must be living in England for the duration of the course but the university can be based elsewhere in the UK
EU students must be in England on the first day of the academic year. They must also live and study in England for the duration of their course.

Both of the courses you listed are eligible courses on the database so as long as you meet the distance learner criteria guidance above then you should be eligible to apply.

Thanks, Isaac
JaakMaddison
Rep:
?
Our guidance states:

Students studying a distance learning postgraduate course will be eligible for funding. In order to be eligible:

SFE students must be living in England for the duration of the course but the university can be based elsewhere in the UK
EU students must be in England on the first day of the academic year. They must also live and study in England for the duration of their course.

Both of the courses you listed are eligible courses on the database so as long as you meet the distance learner criteria guidance above then you should be eligible to apply.

Thanks, Isaac
Thanks for replying, however the course is part-time and lasts 2.5-7 years for Heriot Watt and 3-5 years for Surrey.

A full time course exists for both of the courses above, however a full-time course does not exist for distance learning.

Does it still meet this requirements?:

It can be:

full-time, lasting 1 or 2 academic years
part-time, lasting 2 to 4 academic years - no more than twice the length of the equivalent full-time course
part-time for up to 3 years, where no equivalent full-time course exists

Thanks.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for replying, however the course is part-time and lasts 2.5-7 years for Heriot Watt and 3-5 years for Surrey.

A full time course exists for both of the courses above, however a full-time course does not exist for distance learning.

Does it still meet this requirements?:

It can be:

full-time, lasting 1 or 2 academic years
part-time, lasting 2 to 4 academic years - no more than twice the length of the equivalent full-time course
part-time for up to 3 years, where no equivalent full-time course exists

Thanks.
The course must be either:

A full-time course lasting 1 or 2 years; or
A part-time course lasting 2 academic years which has a 1 year Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
A part-time course lasting 3 or 4 academic years which has a 2 year FTE; or
A part-time course lasting up to 3 years* which has no FTE course.
*1 year courses will always be undertaken on a full-time basis, but 2 year courses may be full-time or part-time.

The part time distance learning course at Heriot Watt states it is 2 Years full-time equivalent duration so it is eligible as it meets the "A part-time course lasting 3 or 4 academic years which has a 2 year FTE" criteria.

Surrey university only has a full time course available, no part time course. You wouldn't be eligible to study part time at Surrey unless they add the part time course to the database.

Thanks, Isaac
JaakMaddison
Rep:
?
The course must be either:

A full-time course lasting 1 or 2 years; or
A part-time course lasting 2 academic years which has a 1 year Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
A part-time course lasting 3 or 4 academic years which has a 2 year FTE; or
A part-time course lasting up to 3 years* which has no FTE course.
*1 year courses will always be undertaken on a full-time basis, but 2 year courses may be full-time or part-time.

The part time distance learning course at Heriot Watt states it is 2 Years full-time equivalent duration so it is eligible as it meets the "A part-time course lasting 3 or 4 academic years which has a 2 year FTE" criteria.

Surrey university only has a full time course available, no part time course. You wouldn't be eligible to study part time at Surrey unless they add the part time course to the database.

Thanks, Isaac
The Advanced Structural Engineering course at Heriot-Watt is offered 1 year full-time, 2 to 7 years part-time, and 2.5 to 7 years distance learning, so surely it has a 1-year FTE?

Name:  76557.PNG
Views: 11
Size:  43.2 KB

I appreciate your help, thank you.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The Advanced Structural Engineering course at Heriot-Watt is offered 1 year full-time, 2 to 7 years part-time, and 2.5 to 7 years distance learning, so surely it has a 1-year FTE?

Name:  76557.PNG
Views: 11
Size:  43.2 KB

I appreciate your help, thank you.
Heriot Watt are responsible for adding the course to the database. As the postgraduate 21/22 application has not launched yet, I'm only providing you information from the database they submitted for the 20/21 academic year. They might add different information for the upcoming academic year.

It does state " 2 Years full-time equivalent duration" on the database. If this isn't correct then I advise you to query this with them and they should update the database.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.99%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.49%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (82)
10.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (102)
12.73%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.99%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.62%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (87)
10.86%
Financial worries (53)
6.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.62%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.37%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.12%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (76)
9.49%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (63)
7.87%

Watched Threads