fizzypop2015
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’m wondering if anyone who is going to/ has done a modern languages degree at university can help me with a few things!

- is work experience a beneficial thing to have for ML? If so, could you recommend the kinds of things you did!

-what universities do you recommend if I’m looking at a degree with more non- literary modules?

-I’m thinking of doing a History and modern languages degree, but I keep getting more cons than pros in terms of the flexibility of my course, If anyone has any advise I would very much appreciate it
Elisamary30
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi,

-I don’t think it’s necessary to have work experience for ML; most people won’t have done anything. But obviously it’s always advantageous. The main things I can think of would be working a summer job in a touristy area e.g as a guide where you will be interacting with people who speak diff languages. You could also do tutoring.

- I would definitely avoid some of the London unis like UCL and Kings as they’re quite heavy on the literary modules.

How many languages do you want to study at uni?

If you only want to study one, you could easily do a joint honours in history and a language at any uni.
If you want to study two languages you could consider Bath or Southampton, I think they have quite a varied choice of modules that aren’t lit related.
If you want to study 3 languages (which is what I’m doing now) your degree will be predominantly about language acquisition, so you can easily avoid doing any lit modules. Some unis that offer 3 ML are Warwick, Bristol, Newcastle, Bangor etc.
Bangor Uni
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by fizzypop2015)
I’m wondering if anyone who is going to/ has done a modern languages degree at university can help me with a few things!

- is work experience a beneficial thing to have for ML? If so, could you recommend the kinds of things you did!

-what universities do you recommend if I’m looking at a degree with more non- literary modules?

-I’m thinking of doing a History and modern languages degree, but I keep getting more cons than pros in terms of the flexibility of my course, If anyone has any advise I would very much appreciate it
Hey fizzypop2015,

As Elisamary30 mentioned you can actually do a two or three language program at Bangor but we also offer History with a Modern Language (French, Spanish, Italian, German and Chinese).

You don't need to have work experience for a Modern Language course but it's always helpful to have some basic understanding of the language. There will often be a requirement to have studies the subject at A Level.

As for modules at Bangor there is often a choice, go and have a look at the course pages, under the content tab you'll have a module listing for the current year. This should give you a good idea as to the type of modules you'll be studying. You also do a year abroad where you'll live and work/study in an area that speaks your choose language so you be surrounded by the language and get more confident in it.

Have a chat to some of our current student and staff here - https://www.bangor.ac.uk/student-life/unibuddy. They can give you their experience of the course and answer any questions you may have about the content

If you have any questions about Bangor or our courses let me know
Rhian
multirenaissance
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Great to see people doing languages. I had choice of Queen Mary French lit and or South Bank BA MFL & IB/IS which did South Bank with year abroad. History may be good then can offer both teaching or something. Languages and law wish considered before. Worked in many fields shops, nannying, teaching/tutoring,media, music and writing want to develop more. All the best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (29)
29.9%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
10.31%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
53.61%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise