university accomodation and packing list for 2022

Watch
Levi-Jai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
im hoping to go to uni 2022, but am a little confused/ worried about moving and accomodation. i am hoping to go to winchester uni to study childcare, but am not sure which type of accomodation will be best for me. i have a hearing impairment and tics, along with severe anxiety and depression, and PTSD.
does anyone have any ideas?
MatthewAteYou
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would suggest reaching out to the university's welfare team, and if they have one an accommodation team. They should be able to suggest appropriate accommodation that is best suited for you!
Levi-Jai
Rep:
?
(Original post by MatthewAteYou)
I would suggest reaching out to the university's welfare team, and if they have one an accommodation team. They should be able to suggest appropriate accommodation that is best suited for you!
thankyou
University of Winchester
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Levi-Jai)
im hoping to go to uni 2022, but am a little confused/ worried about moving and accomodation. i am hoping to go to winchester uni to study childcare, but am not sure which type of accomodation will be best for me. i have a hearing impairment and tics, along with severe anxiety and depression, and PTSD.
does anyone have any ideas?
Hi Levi-Jai

Happy to help with any questions you have about accommodation! Just let me know what sort of accommodation you are looking for and I will try to suggest the best match.

Luke
Levi-Jai
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Winchester)
Hi Levi-Jai

Happy to help with any questions you have about accommodation! Just let me know what sort of accommodation you are looking for and I will try to suggest the best match.

Luke
hi luke, thankyou for your answer. im not entirely sure which accomodation i will need, as i said, i have multiple health conditions and impariments, but am not sure if i will be eligable for an adapted room, as i am hearing impaired and can even sleep through fire alarms
Last edited by Levi-Jai; 3 weeks ago
University of Winchester
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hi luke, thankyou for your answer. im not entirely sure which accomodation i will need, as i said, i have multiple health conditions and impariments, but am not sure if i will be eligable for an adapted room, as i am hearing impaired and can even sleep through fire alarms
There is a bit more information about adapted rooms here:

https://www.winchester.ac.uk/accommo...-disabilities/

Essentially, every hall on campus has a room that is suitable for those with impaired hearing, so after checking with [email protected] about eligibility you would have to choice of any of our halls. Queens Road and Burma are our two biggest halls that are in the centre of the main campus, so they may be the best place to start looking at first. They are the closest to all facilities and services we offer.
Levi-Jai
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Winchester)
There is a bit more information about adapted rooms here:

https://www.winchester.ac.uk/accommo...-disabilities/

Essentially, every hall on campus has a room that is suitable for those with impaired hearing, so after checking with [email protected] about eligibility you would have to choice of any of our halls. Queens Road and Burma are our two biggest halls that are in the centre of the main campus, so they may be the best place to start looking at first. They are the closest to all facilities and services we offer.
thankyou, the links really helped. its really reasuring that no matter where i go, ill be able to apply for an adapted room. by any chance, do you know if i would be eligable for support in lessons?
Lostghosts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey, when you apply for accommodation if you tell them you have a hearing impairment they can ensure you get a room that has appropriate adaptions (my campus has stuff like a door bell for the room connected to a light that flashes so you know if people are at your door, a vibrating alarm clock and a fire alarm that flashes so you have a visual warning if you can't hear the noise). Regarding your mental health conditions most unis can offer ensuite rooms if this will help ease anxiety and a lot of unis offer quiet and alcohol free flats if that will help you. But get in touch with the accommodation team and they can let you know what is available.

As for support in lessons make sure you apply for disabled students allowance and talk to your universities disability team. There is support available but you need to be quite proactive in seeking it
Levi-Jai
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lostghosts)
Hey, when you apply for accommodation if you tell them you have a hearing impairment they can ensure you get a room that has appropriate adaptions (my campus has stuff like a door bell for the room connected to a light that flashes so you know if people are at your door, a vibrating alarm clock and a fire alarm that flashes so you have a visual warning if you can't hear the noise). Regarding your mental health conditions most unis can offer ensuite rooms if this will help ease anxiety and a lot of unis offer quiet and alcohol free flats if that will help you. But get in touch with the accommodation team and they can let you know what is available.

As for support in lessons make sure you apply for disabled students allowance and talk to your universities disability team. There is support available but you need to be quite proactive in seeking it
thankyou, you really helped put my mind to rest.
Levi-Jai
Rep:
?
does anyone have any ideas about a basic packing list? any thoughts will be really helpfull
Lostghosts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
does anyone have any ideas about a basic packing list? any thoughts will be really helpfull
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...sity-checklist
Levi-Jai
Rep:
?
thankyou so much!! thats really helpful x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (5)
16.13%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (19)
61.29%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (5)
16.13%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (1)
3.23%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
3.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed