Being a better Muslim

Watch
Shia_K
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Peace be onto everyone!

I’m currently 17 turning 18 in less than a month and I’ve always struggled with my faith. Not in the sense that I don’t believe or will shirk, it’s just that I’ve come to realise that I don’t know anything about my religion.

I feel guilty when I call myself a Muslim because how can I say so when I can’t even speak Arabic? I don’t know how to properly pray or recite duas. I feel completely useless.

This month of Ramadan has just started but hasn’t quite exactly gone to plan. I’m finding it hard to fast because I’m under a lot of stress and food is my comfort.

My parents were raised in Muslim households in Africa, so they know a lot about the religion but they never taught me anything. I just kind of found myself being Muslim and claimed that.

Islam is important to me though. It’s a religion that emphasises peace, devotion and cleanliness of the mind, body and soul. It’s a beautiful religion (please don’t twist my words- the beauty of Islam doesn’t result in the absence of beauty in whatever you choose to believe in).

I want to learn more and become a better Muslim, learn it all from scratch but I don’t know how it where to start.

Can someone advice me?
the_pharaoh
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Shia_K)
Peace be onto everyone!

I’m currently 17 turning 18 in less than a month and I’ve always struggled with my faith. Not in the sense that I don’t believe or will shirk, it’s just that I’ve come to realise that I don’t know anything about my religion.

I feel guilty when I call myself a Muslim because how can I say so when I can’t even speak Arabic? I don’t know how to properly pray or recite duas. I feel completely useless.

This month of Ramadan has just started but hasn’t quite exactly gone to plan. I’m finding it hard to fast because I’m under a lot of stress and food is my comfort.

My parents were raised in Muslim households in Africa, so they know a lot about the religion but they never taught me anything. I just kind of found myself being Muslim and claimed that.

Islam is important to me though. It’s a religion that emphasises peace, devotion and cleanliness of the mind, body and soul. It’s a beautiful religion (please don’t twist my words- the beauty of Islam doesn’t result in the absence of beauty in whatever you choose to believe in).

I want to learn more and become a better Muslim, learn it all from scratch but I don’t know how it where to start.

Can someone advice me?
Ok firstly the fact you don't speak arabic doesn't suggest anything in fact if u try to learn the quran u get more ajr because it's harder

secondly it isn't too late to start learning and taking more care and strengthining your faith

as for where to start maybe talk to your parents or see a sheikh and they could help guide you
Ulayyaa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can go to the nearest mosque from your place, since most mosques have some Islamic classes or something like that. You can also ask the imaam or sheikh there to teach you.

And yes, It's never too late to learn our religion. Nobody is perfect so we're all keep learning and learning.

If you can't read Arabic yet, start with the Quran translation. It's always a good thing to start reading what's inside our holy book.
Needyherapyhilol
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly Iv been feeling the same
Last edited by Needyherapyhilol; 1 month ago
Mr.Nameless
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Peace be onto everyone!

Can someone advice me?
Your thoughts are genuine. Nothing twisted.

You don't have to know Arabic to be a good Muslim. How many people are fluent reciters of Quran but they don't understand anything they recite.
I hope you find someone who'll help you with this trouble of recitation, pronunciation and understanding.

Hope this helps.

(Original post by Needyherapyhilol)
Honestly Iv been feeling the same if u ever need to talk add me on snap sis @officialesha_h x
Shia_K
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you everyone 🥺 for a long time I’ve felt lost, guilty and ashamed but you’ve all instilled hope in me. Becoming a better Muslim is a journey that I’m willing to embark on x
Mr.Nameless
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you everyone 🥺 for a long time I’ve felt lost, guilty and ashamed but you’ve all instilled hope in me. Becoming a better Muslim is a journey that I’m willing to embark on x
Welcome!!
Good luck
If you need any help, I'd love to assist.
Needyherapyhilol
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Everyone goes through the phase but at least you are trying and want to become a better muslim! Honestly I’m not even religious myself like that but I’m trying🥺it’ll be okay and everything be fine inshallah!
Ulayyaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck! We're here for you
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You don’t have to speak Arabic to be a Muslim. Otherwise, that’s like half of the Muslim community gone
npic9
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiiii, firstly like the others have stated you don’t need to learn Arabic specifically. I’ve pretty much forgotten most of my Arabic so I’ve learnt via reading it in English and listening online, so don’t feel bad that you don’t know.

I advise learning the basic surahs such as: Surah Ikhlas, Surah Kauser, Surah Nas & Surah Falaq as they’re quite short and will help you when praying. You can learn via listening to them on YouTube so you get the right pronunciation.

Depending on your sect, most muslims pray 5 times a day. Fajr is the morning prayer (4 Rakats) , zuhr is the mid day (10-12 rakats ) , asr is the afternoon ( 8 rakats ) , magrib is the sunset ( 5 rakats ) and isha is the night prayer (10-13 rakats ) . Although it may seem a lot ( which it did for me when I started praying ), praying does help you be more organised and be in a routine. To find your prayer times google praying times and your town and country included eg prayer times in London

This video is helpful in how to pray. She shows you how to do the 2 rakats. https://youtu.be/Bhq-tzBRyiI
, this is the prayer you would do at fajr.
There are also other videos on YouTube you can search, depending on what prayer you are wanting to do, YouTube it eg “ how to pray magrib ” and a lot of vids will come up.

I advise when you start praying to take it in baby steps. For example I used to start off just by praying fajr because it was the shortest and I built it from there. It’s better to do baby steps and be consistent rather than do everything in one go and eventually get sick of it and give up. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, although I’m not the best I’m happy to help😊
Ulayyaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by npic9)
Hiiii, firstly like the others have stated you don’t need to learn Arabic specifically. I’ve pretty much forgotten most of my Arabic so I’ve learnt via reading it in English and listening online, so don’t feel bad that you don’t know.

I advise learning the basic surahs such as: Surah Ikhlas, Surah Kauser, Surah Nas & Surah Falaq as they’re quite short and will help you when praying. You can learn via listening to them on YouTube so you get the right pronunciation.

Depending on your sect, most muslims pray 5 times a day. Fajr is the morning prayer (4 Rakats) , zuhr is the mid day (10-12 rakats ) , asr is the afternoon ( 8 rakats ) , magrib is the sunset ( 5 rakats ) and isha is the night prayer (10-13 rakats ) . Although it may seem a lot ( which it did for me when I started praying ), praying does help you be more organised and be in a routine. To find your prayer times google praying times and your town and country included eg prayer times in London

This video is helpful in how to pray. She shows you how to do the 2 rakats. https://youtu.be/Bhq-tzBRyiI
, this is the prayer you would do at fajr.
There are also other videos on YouTube you can search, depending on what prayer you are wanting to do, YouTube it eg “ how to pray magrib ” and a lot of vids will come up.

I advise when you start praying to take it in baby steps. For example I used to start off just by praying fajr because it was the shortest and I built it from there. It’s better to do baby steps and be consistent rather than do everything in one go and eventually get sick of it and give up. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, although I’m not the best I’m happy to help😊
Wait... what? why are there so many rakats? Fajr is 2 rakats, Zuhr is 4, Ashr is 4, Magrib is 3, and Isha is 4. Unless you included the sunna prayers on them, but sunna prayers don't count as the 5 times mandatory prayers.
npic9
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ulayyaa)
Wait... what? why are there so many rakats? Fajr is 2 rakats, Zuhr is 4, Ashr is 4, Magrib is 3, and Isha is 4. Unless you included the sunna prayers on them, but sunna prayers don't count as the 5 times mandatory prayers.
I included the sunnah prayers, but you should be doing all the rakats for zuhr, magrib and fajr. You have the option to do the sunnah for asr and isha.
Ulayyaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by npic9)
I included the sunnah prayers, but you should be doing all the rakats for zuhr, magrib and fajr. You have the option to do the sunnah for asr and isha.
aren't the sunnah means we've the option? So it's okay if we don't, but indeed will be better if we do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed