The Student Room Group

Chemistry AS

Hi! I'm in y12 and take Chem, Further Maths, Maths and Econ. I have the option to do Chemistry and Further Maths AS but if I do the Chemistry AS I can't take Chem next year. I also have the option to do AS Chem in Y13, but I'm kind of sceptical about how Universities would see my application. For further maths, I can do the AS and do it next year if I want to, but I'm leaning towards taking it next year
take chem, for further maths some unis don't consider it as its close to a pure math alevel
Original post by interlanken-fall
take chem, for further maths some unis don't consider it as its close to a pure math alevel

I would have but I plan to do Economics for Uni and I heard further maths would be an advantage
Original post by dontaskaboutmy
I would have but I plan to do Economics for Uni and I heard further maths would be an advantage

how though? pure math is perfect for differential and stuff, I heard they use differentiation for economics graphs, how does further math give advantages?
Reply 4
Original post by interlanken-fall
how though? pure math is perfect for differential and stuff, I heard they use differentiation for economics graphs, how does further math give advantages?

Early modules in economics courses tend to look at differential equations and matrices (among other things), both of which are covered quite a lot in further maths, so having done that would give a solid boost.
unless your applying for LSE i dont think any other unis for economics look at further maths as an essential requirement at a-level

Quick Reply

Latest