Roundhead
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello,

So I was awarded a 2:1 in my undergraduate at Lancaster University and i've stayed there to pursue a Masters degree in International Relations.

As it stands right now, my grades are very borderline (63%) with two assignments (that I suspect I won't do well in) and my Masters dissertation where I could salvage my grade if needs be.

So, context out of the way, I want to go onto do my PhD in 2022 after a brief gap year to build my research CV. If it's the case that I end up with a pass grade on my Masters is it still possible to go onto doing a PhD or ought I not bother applying?

Thanks!
(Haven't been on here since my GCSE's so its all quite mad).
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Roundhead)
Hello,

So I was awarded a 2:1 in my undergraduate at Lancaster University and i've stayed there to pursue a Masters degree in International Relations.

As it stands right now, my grades are very borderline (63%) with two assignments (that I suspect I won't do well in) and my Masters dissertation where I could salvage my grade if needs be.

So, context out of the way, I want to go onto do my PhD in 2022 after a brief gap year to build my research CV. If it's the case that I end up with a pass grade on my Masters is it still possible to go onto doing a PhD or ought I not bother applying?

Thanks!
A pass grade at masters level does not make you a competitive funding applicant (especially as you'll be up against applicants with a 1st at undergrad and distinction at masters level). I recommend that you do as well as you can possibly do to bring your masters average up.

What field were you thinking of doing your PhD in?
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think that for research in IR, which is presumably what you want to do your PhD in, getting funding would be pretty much impossible with those marks, certainly not with a pass. If you want to do one without funding then you would probably be ok with a pass, but obviously you should be aware of the costs involved with that.

Taking a gap year to improve your research CV really means either getting a research assistant job (very unlikely), getting another job which directly involves you using IR, or doing an MPhil/MRes. You will find it difficult to get any meaningful, respected experience outside of those options.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello,

Thanks!
You can probably find a PhD. The issue will be funding and 2.1/merit is pretty much the minimum, and id say for a strong application you really want 70+

With a pass I think you'll struggle, but if you have relevant research experience or internships then perhaps you could use that to spruce up the application.
Roundhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
A pass grade at masters level does not make you a competitive funding applicant (especially as you'll be up against applicants with a 1st at undergrad and distinction at masters level). I recommend that you do as well as you can possibly do to bring your masters average up.

What field were you thinking of doing your PhD in?
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
I think that for research in IR, which is presumably what you want to do your PhD in, getting funding would be pretty much impossible with those marks, certainly not with a pass. If you want to do one without funding then you would probably be ok with a pass, but obviously you should be aware of the costs involved with that.

Taking a gap year to improve your research CV really means either getting a research assistant job (very unlikely), getting another job which directly involves you using IR, or doing an MPhil/MRes. You will find it difficult to get any meaningful, respected experience outside of those options.
(Original post by mnot)
You can probably find a PhD. The issue will be funding and 2.1/merit is pretty much the minimum, and id say for a strong application you really want 70+

With a pass I think you'll struggle, but if you have relevant research experience or internships then perhaps you could use that to spruce up the application.
Thank you all for getting back to me.

While I do want to do my PhD in International Relations and I did hear from a friend that its not about finding a PhD but more about funding. For the funding, I understand that a 2:1 and a Pass/Merit would be insufficient.

I just wanted to get some verification that this was the case, although it's disappointing, having a Masters is good in itself and I guess I must be content with that.
Last edited by Roundhead; 2 weeks ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you all for getting back to me.

While I do want to do my PhD in International Relations and I did hear from a friend that its not about finding a PhD but more about funding. For the funding, I understand that a 2:1 and a Pass/Merit would be insufficient.

I just wanted to get some verification that this was the case, although it's disappointing, having a Masters is good in itself and I guess I must be content with that.
I wouldn’t use the word insufficient. Just very difficult, id also say getting a merit would help significantly more, whereas a pass at masters probably would be game over.

If you were set on academic research, you can work towards it try & get research internships etc., it’ll just be much harder then if you had gotten a distinction or 1st.

it really depends what you want to do career wise.
QuentinM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello,

Thanks!
I've not got too much more to add to everything said above-if you expect to just pass, without a good explanation for why you didn't do better I would expect you to seriously struggle in applying. Maybe it's just the universities I've been to but anything over 60% would normally be a merit?
Roundhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by QuentinM)
I've not got too much more to add to everything said above-if you expect to just pass, without a good explanation for why you didn't do better I would expect you to seriously struggle in applying. Maybe it's just the universities I've been to but anything over 60% would normally be a merit?
Yes 60% is a Merit and for me its still very much achievable but i'm doubtful even that could get me onto a PhD course.
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes 60% is a Merit and for me its still very much achievable but i'm doubtful even that could get me onto a PhD course.
I got 67% in my masters, which was only a merit, following on from a 2:1 on my BSc, and I'm now on a PhD, so it is achievable.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QuentinM)
I got 67% in my masters, which was only a merit, following on from a 2:1 on my BSc, and I'm now on a PhD, so it is achievable.
Going from a merit in your master's to a PhD is pretty common, but the percentage that you get matters. In general, 65% is considered the cut-off and naturally achieving below that will increasingly negatively impact OP's application.
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
Going from a merit in your master's to a PhD is pretty common, but the percentage that you get matters. In general, 65% is considered the cut-off and naturally achieving below that will increasingly negatively impact OP's application.
I've heard this stuff about a "cutoff" from several people on here recently and I don't understand it at all-is this specific for certain subjects? In science Masters degrees no cutoffs are expected for PhD applications (from everything I've heard), research experience was far more important than masters grades. Obviously OP is hoping to apply for international relations, do cutoffs apply for humanities subjects? If so I apologise for possibly muddying the waters
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (113)
14.18%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (85)
10.66%
Changed course offer (35)
4.39%
Clearing (58)
7.28%
Conditional offer (11)
1.38%
Deferral (33)
4.14%
Ucas Extra (92)
11.54%
First Generation or First in Family (25)
3.14%
Point of Entry (56)
7.03%
Self-release (116)
14.55%
Tariff Point (64)
8.03%
Unconditional offer (11)
1.38%
Withdrawal (23)
2.89%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (69)
8.66%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (6)
0.75%

Watched Threads