english paper 2 question 2. Can someone please mark?

Watch this thread
ak00007
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
question:You need to refer to Source A and Source B for this question.
Both writers are accompanied by another person on their adventure: Simon in Source
A, and Marius in Source B.
Use details from both sources to write a summary of what you understand about the
differences between the two companions, Simon and Marius

my answer
Last edited by ak00007; 1 year ago
Maira108
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ak00007)
question:You need to refer to Source A and Source B for this question.
Both writers are accompanied by another person on their adventure: Simon in Source
A, and Marius in Source B.
Use details from both sources to write a summary of what you understand about the
differences between the two companions, Simon and Marius

my answer

When looking at both companions in source A and B it is clear that there is a difference in the way they treat the writers in both source A and B. For example, in source A the writer explains how “despite my cries of alarm and pain, he had kept the pace of decent going “. Not only is the writer in “pain” and agony, but his companion also simon takes little care of this and carries the decent going. This conveys simon as an apathetic and selfish companion as he gives little care about his partner whose life could be at risk and it seems as though simon cares more about reaching the bottom of the mountain than his struggling friend. On the other hand in source B the demeanour of the companion (marius) differs massively from the companion in source A. this is shown when it states “marius literally pulled me up like parcel”. By doing this marius is presented as a thoughtful and caring companion. By the writer comparing herself to a parcel this conveys to the reader how trustworthy and helpful marius is as he is going to an extreme extent by carrying his partner despite how tough mountain climbing is.

Furthermore, in source A, the companion simon is resented as untrustworthy and dangerous. This is shown when it states “you’ll have my leg off otherwise”. By the writer saying this so casually it conveys how untrustworthy simon is and how the writer has little to no trust in him. However in source B the companion marius is conveyed as helpful and compassionate. This is shown when “marius had kindly put my rug in the corner of the floor”. By marius doing this it signifies how thoughtful and caring he is and the writer seems as though he appreciates marius small acts of kindness.
5/8
Level 3 marks 5-6:
• Shows clear synthesis and interpretation of both texts:
• Makes clear inferences from both texts
• Selects clear references) / textual detail relevant to the focus of the question (could be a little clearer, because it was slightly confusing even without the speech marks)
• Statements show clear differences between texts

For a level 4 (7-8 marks), you needed to make perceptive inferences from both texts and your initial
statements at the start of the paragraph, need to show perceptive differences between texts

but to think more perceptively, ask yourself ‘what about simon himself?’ you were focusing on the other characters (dk the name lmao) – the one he was pulling down’s, emotions, not simon himself, so try put yourself in his shoes

If u got any more question u need marking on this let me know paper 2 preferably btw have u done q3 ?
ak00007
Rep:
he

(Original post by Maira108)
5/8
Level 3 marks 5-6:
• Selects clear references) / textual detail relevant to the focus of the question (could be a little clearer, because it was slightly confusing even without the speech marks)

For a level 4 (7-8 marks), you needed to make perceptive inferences from both texts and your initial
statements at the start of the paragraph, need to show perceptive differences between texts

but to think more perceptively, ask yourself ‘what about simon himself?’ you were focusing on the other characters (dk the name lmao) – the one he was pulling down’s, emotions, not simon himself, so try put yourself in his shoes

If u got any more question u need marking on this let me know paper 2 preferably btw have u done q3 ?
hello thanks for this!! and i am doing that rn i will send later on thanks
ak00007
Rep:
(Original post by Maira108)
5/8
Level 3 marks 5-6:

here is my question 3 could you please mark? thanks

the question-How does the writer use language to describe how he feels?
Last edited by ak00007; 1 year ago
Maira108
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ak00007)
here is my question 3 could you please mark? thanks

the question-How does the writer use language to describe how he feels?

In source A the writer is shown to be vulnerable and helpless. This is shown when it states, “the terrible sliding stopped and I hung silently against the slope”. The use of the sibilance highlights the vulnerability faced by the writer and how this experience is almost unforgettable. The sibilance also slows down the pace of the sentence which conveys how the writer must have felt pain and vulnerability for a long period of time. furthermore the use of the adverb “silently” implies how the writer is speechless and this experience is unlike any they have faced before. therefore, it Is clear the writer felt vulnerable and because of this felt speechless during his mountain decent.

Furthermore, in source A the writer is presented as feeling pain and agony. This is shown when it states, “a wave of nausea and pain swept over me”. this metaphor implies how the writer is feeling a never ending and immense “wave” of pain and agony. This metaphor also presents the writer as weak and venerable by the use of the noun “wave” as “wave “ has conations of large and never ending and this therefore makes the writer look weak and fragile. Hence it is clear that the writer felt weak and in pain during the mountain decent.

Adding on the writer is conveyed as feeling tormented. This is shown by the metaphor “flare of agony”; which tells us as reader that the writer is going through torment and pain. However by using the noun “flare” which has conations of fire and burning this creates an impression that the writer was going through pain which was like a fire; uncontrollable and painful.

Lastly the writer is presented a feeling uncontrollable and weak. This is shown by the repetition of “shook” and “shaking”. By repeating this the writer conveys to the reader how they were not able to control themselves which creates the impression that the writer was very weak and vulnerable at that time and had no control over what was happening. Therefore it is clear the writer was weak and uncontrollable while descending the mountain.
7/12 if I was you I would deleted this tread so no one copies it also to improve you need to show perceptive inferences Through ur work you do this at times but they need to be perceptive and clear at other times in ur response especially in the first and last paragraph
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads