xtilly_kpx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone!

I've been doing some research into different unis for law and I guess I would like some advice on which ones people would recommend the most. The unis I've mainly looked into are: Glasgow, Bristol, York, Queen's Belfast and Durham. I was wondering what people's overall opinions are on these unis (so like about the academic side and graduate prospects, along with the social side, as well as how they are in terms of diversity). If anyone has any suggestions of other unis to look into that would be good too! (For reference, my current predicted grades are A*A*A)

Thanks!
Last edited by xtilly_kpx; 3 weeks ago
Mikos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would be careful about Scottish universities in general, as sometimes English students (or those hoping to practise in England) end up doing Scots law, which doesn’t actually qualify you as a lawyer in England & Wales.

Otherwise it depends on your ambitions. To give some perspective, QUB is not as well represented at top firms compared to some of the others you’ve listed. York is less represented at top firms than Durham or Bristol but that’s not to say it’s a bad university.

With predictions of A*A*A you’d likely be a reasonable candidate for anywhere tbh, so as far as recommending others it would really depend on your personal preferences and goals (which you haven’t told us very much about).
Last edited by Mikos; 3 weeks ago
chalbliagtelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Graduate prospects from those are all fine, Durham/Bristol are the best imho. with a*a*a are you not considering oxbridge or any london unis (lse/ucl etc) as well? might be worth a look unless you're not a fan of london. if you're willing to go to scotland you might want to have a look at st andrews as well. on the academic side I'm not at durham but they actually poached one of the lecturers from my uni and he's REALLY good so i can definitely vouch for him if you're interested in human rights or public law! for all of these unis see if you can find the obligatory and elective modules online because some may offer more subjects you're interested in academically whereas others may not. e.g. all unis will offer things like family law or public international law but not necessarily very specific topics. also check stuff like is a dissertation in 3rd year obligatory etc.

in terms of diversity, i'm assuming you mean bame/poc students? tbh this is an area people talk about a lot and it's really hard to measure how diversity-friendly a uni is just based off websites and hearsay. you can only really know once you get there since every poc has diff experiences at each of these unis. i know some people at mine that have had an awful time but others who've never had any harrassment at all. but if you'd prefer to be in a uni that's more diverse in terms of the student body, you can find this online somewhere. https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/outr...20every%20year. https://www.dur.ac.uk/student.regist...ary/1.6ethnic/ are some stats about bristol and durham to look at regarding the % of bame students. hope this is helpful!
I.436
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mikos)
I would be careful about Scottish universities in general, as sometimes English students (or those hoping to practise in England) end up doing Scots law, which doesn’t actually qualify you as a lawyer in England & Wales.

Otherwise it depends on your ambitions. To give some perspective, QUB is not as well represented at top firms compared to some of the others you’ve listed. York is less represented at top firms than Durham or Bristol but that’s not to say it’s a bad university.

With predictions of A*A*A you’d likely be a reasonable candidate for anywhere tbh, so as far as recommending others it would really depend on your personal preferences and goals (which you haven’t told us very much about).
Yeah I agree for the scottish uni thing, and if you want to study in Scotland, you'd be better making sure it's a dual qualifying course, but they aren't offered very much (only ones I know of are Dundee and Aberdeen)
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by xtilly_kpx)
Hi everyone!

I've been doing some research into different unis for law and I guess I would like some advice on which ones people would recommend the most. The unis I've mainly looked into are: Glasgow, Bristol, York, Queen's Belfast and Durham. I was wondering what people's overall opinions are on these unis (so like about the academic side and graduate prospects, along with the social side, as well as how they are in terms of diversity). If anyone has any suggestions of other unis to look into that would be good too! (For reference, my current predicted grades are A*A*A)

Thanks!
Diversity will not be good at Queens Belfast as most students there will come from the local area and Northern Ireland is predominantly white.

Diversity will be greatest at Bristol as it is a fairly large and multicultural city. It is also an appropriate choice for someone with your predicted grades and has good graduate prospects, social life etc.

York and Durham are both small cities so won't be that diverse either but more so than Queens.
xtilly_kpx
Rep:
?
Hi everyone, thank you so much for all your replies they’ve been so helpful!

(Original post by chalbliagtelle)
Graduate prospects from those are all fine, Durham/Bristol are the best imho. with a*a*a are you not considering oxbridge or any london unis (lse/ucl etc) as well? might be worth a look unless you're not a fan of london. if you're willing to go to scotland you might want to have a look at st andrews as well. on the academic side I'm not at durham but they actually poached one of the lecturers from my uni and he's REALLY good so i can definitely vouch for him if you're interested in human rights or public law! for all of these unis see if you can find the obligatory and elective modules online because some may offer more subjects you're interested in academically whereas others may not. e.g. all unis will offer things like family law or public international law but not necessarily very specific topics. also check stuff like is a dissertation in 3rd year obligatory etc.

in terms of diversity, i'm assuming you mean bame/poc students? tbh this is an area people talk about a lot and it's really hard to measure how diversity-friendly a uni is just based off websites and hearsay. you can only really know once you get there since every poc has diff experiences at each of these unis. i know some people at mine that have had an awful time but others who've never had any harrassment at all. but if you'd prefer to be in a uni that's more diverse in terms of the student body, you can find this online somewhere. https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/outr...20every%20year. https://www.dur.ac.uk/student.regist...ary/1.6ethnic/ are some stats about bristol and durham to look at regarding the % of bame students. hope this is helpful!
yeah, in terms of the london unis and oxbridge, I’m from london so I’m trying to move away a bit as I kinda want a change lol. And oxbridge has just never appealed to me mainly due to the sort of environment/lack of diversity and also for me I suppose the lack of representation of people from my class.

in general, i probably need to do some more research about what my priorities are in terms of the course as all I really know is that I obviously want to do law and any course which has a few specific modules, which all of the ones I’ve looked at do have.
My main problem at the minute is I’m wondering if I went further away for uni (eg to one of the Scottish ones) whether I’d be less likely to get a job at one of the big london law firms, as after uni im planning to move back to london
Last edited by xtilly_kpx; 3 weeks ago
Mikos
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

yeah, in terms of the london unis and oxbridge, I’m from london so I’m trying to move away a bit as I kinda want a change lol. And oxbridge has just never appealed to me mainly due to the sort of environment/lack of diversity and also for me I suppose the lack of representation of people from my class.

in general, i probably need to do some more research about what my priorities are in terms of the course as all I really know is that I obviously want to do law and any course which has a few specific modules, which all of the ones I’ve looked at do have.
My main problem at the minute is I’m wondering if I went further away for uni (eg to one of the Scottish ones) whether I’d be less likely to get a job at one of the big london law firms, as after uni im planning to move back to london
I wouldn’t really recommend Scotland for big London law firms. It’s not the distance necessarily (bc you’d be fine with somewhere like Durham) but rather the universities themselves.

Also, Oxbridge has been making HUGE strides in the way of diversity. I’m in a Cambridge law offer holder groupchat and a good chunk of people are BAME, and quite a few are from the most disadvantaged backgrounds too. If Oxbridge is something you think you might actually like, then don’t let outdated stereotypes about the type of person who studies there stop you from applying.
xtilly_kpx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mikos)
I wouldn’t really recommend Scotland for big London law firms. It’s not the distance necessarily (bc you’d be fine with somewhere like Durham) but rather the universities themselves.

Also, Oxbridge has been making HUGE strides in the way of diversity. I’m in a Cambridge law offer holder groupchat and a good chunk of people are BAME, and quite a few are from the most disadvantaged backgrounds too. If Oxbridge is something you think you might actually like, then don’t let outdated stereotypes about the type of person who studies there stop you from applying.
Ahhh ok thank you that’s really useful to know
I’m thinking at the moment if i were to choose 5 unis I’d say probably Bristol and Durham are in my top 2 and then maybe I’d have like Glasgow and some other ones with lower entry requirements as I’m dubious about whether I’ll actually get my predicted grades.
Yeahh ive heard good things about oxbridge in recent years i just also am not sure about the cities as a whole and if the environment is maybe too stressful?
Queen's University Belfast Student Reps
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone!

Thanks!
Hi xtilly-kpx,

Hope you are well,
I am currently finishing my final year of undergrad at Queen's Belfast (sorry not law) so can help you on the social life side. I feel that people are always a bit unsure of Queen's because they don't know much about it, but I moved over to Belfast from London to study and have loved it ever since. It's such an easy city to enjoy, it's got all the bars, restaruants, landmarks etc. but it's just more walkable and cheaper than London. My only link to law would be my flatmate who is just finishing her final year, she really enjoyed it and has been offered master places at Boston uni and other US unis but sorry I can't tell you about specific course details. Queen's do have an ask a student thread were you can talk to course reps that could be of help. In terms of diversity not all the students come from NI as some may tell you. I am currently living with two students from France and one from Namibia whilst I am from England so there is a mix of students from all over. Belfast is less multicultural than say London but there are many students from GB and interntational.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Team Queen's,
Charlotte, Third year, English and History
chalbliagtelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Yeah absolutely understandable, i didn't apply to any london unis either back in the day. and no it won't disadvantage you. people from good scottish uni are perfectly well represented at city firms, even when theyre doing scots law - just to echo what others have already said do be careful about that because if you have a scots law degree but want to do english & welsh law in a city firm you'll have to do a gdl type course after your llb. this wouldn't be a ton of hassle for you just irritatingly expensive and also extra time having to study when you could be getting on with other things! likewise people from durham which is also considerably far from london are extremely well represented in all types of city firms. in this regard the only really annoying thing i would say is that when you're doing interviews you might have to travel down to london if firms have moved back to doing in person interviews and assessment centres when you're applying for training contracts but that's so far in the future so wouldn't worry about it.
if you want to check for yourself for specific firms you could make a linkedin and just search something like "trainee DLA Piper glasgow" or any scots uni/firm and see if there are actually trainees at that firm that went to the uni most of the really big firms don't make trainee profiles on their website. the high level boutique/independent firms do though so you can see the representation from there.
hope this helps!!
xtilly_kpx
Rep:
?
Thank you to everyone for all the advice- it’s been so helpful!
I think I’m going to have to do some more research and then hopefully I’ll be able to narrow down my selection but this has definitely helped me to consider all my options
Mikos
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chalbliagtelle)
Yeah absolutely understandable, i didn't apply to any london unis either back in the day. and no it won't disadvantage you. people from good scottish uni are perfectly well represented at city firms, even when theyre doing scots law - just to echo what others have already said do be careful about that because if you have a scots law degree but want to do english & welsh law in a city firm you'll have to do a gdl type course after your llb. this wouldn't be a ton of hassle for you just irritatingly expensive and also extra time having to study when you could be getting on with other things! likewise people from durham which is also considerably far from london are extremely well represented in all types of city firms. in this regard the only really annoying thing i would say is that when you're doing interviews you might have to travel down to london if firms have moved back to doing in person interviews and assessment centres when you're applying for training contracts but that's so far in the future so wouldn't worry about it.
if you want to check for yourself for specific firms you could make a linkedin and just search something like "trainee DLA Piper glasgow" or any scots uni/firm and see if there are actually trainees at that firm that went to the uni most of the really big firms don't make trainee profiles on their website. the high level boutique/independent firms do though so you can see the representation from there.
hope this helps!!
I defo second the LinkedIn comment^
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In data from 2019, Queen’s University Belfast was the whitest of all Russell Group unis

https://thetab.com/uk/2020/01/31/eve...hey-are-141339
xtilly_kpx
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
In data from 2019, Queen’s University Belfast was the whitest of all Russell Group unis

ahhh ok thanks for letting me know…yeah that’s not promising
EU Yakov
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Queen's University Belfast Student Reps)
Hi xtilly-kpx,

Hope you are well,
I am currently finishing my final year of undergrad at Queen's Belfast (sorry not law) so can help you on the social life side. I feel that people are always a bit unsure of Queen's because they don't know much about it, but I moved over to Belfast from London to study and have loved it ever since. It's such an easy city to enjoy, it's got all the bars, restaruants, landmarks etc. but it's just more walkable and cheaper than London. My only link to law would be my flatmate who is just finishing her final year, she really enjoyed it and has been offered master places at Boston uni and other US unis but sorry I can't tell you about specific course details. Queen's do have an ask a student thread were you can talk to course reps that could be of help. In terms of diversity not all the students come from NI as some may tell you. I am currently living with two students from France and one from Namibia whilst I am from England so there is a mix of students from all over. Belfast is less multicultural than say London but there are many students from GB and interntational.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Team Queen's,
Charlotte, Third year, English and History
QUB is literally just Northern Irish people and a handful of poor buggers from elsewhere who couldnt get into a better RG
and NI is ...ahem... very white
Last edited by EU Yakov; 2 weeks ago
EU Yakov
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)

our instincts were the same
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by EU Yakov)
our instincts were the same
I'm white and even I would never have considered such an insular place where the vast majority of students wouldn't leave their home city even for university :hand:
xtilly_kpx
Rep:
?
sooo, I guess what I’ve taken from this is queens is very…lacking in diversity and probably not my best option
what do people think of Durham? Like I’ve heard some not so nice things about classism and racism and i was just wondering if anyone had any insight into that? Thanks guys
xtilly_kpx
Rep:
?
Also as I’m asking for rather a lot of advice on this subject I thought maybe I’d better give some more information about my ambitions
At the minute I don’t really know but I am pretty certain that after uni I want to move back to london (where I’m from) and would like to try and get a job at a big city law firm (hopefully one of the more prestigious ones but who knows at this stage)
But this is my main dilemma as I want to move far away for uni and go somewhere different but I also want to give myself the best chance at getting a training contract at one of these firms and I don’t really know what uni could do that for me
Last edited by xtilly_kpx; 2 weeks ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Also as I’m asking for rather a lot of advice on this subject I thought maybe I’d better give some more information about my ambitions
At the minute I don’t really know but I am pretty certain that after uni I want to move back to london (where I’m from) and would like to try and get a job at a big city law firm (hopefully one of the more prestigious ones but who knows at this stage)
But this is my main dilemma as I want to move far away for uni and go somewhere different but I also want to give myself the best chance at getting a training contract at one of these firms and I don’t really know what uni could do that for me
I think Durham, Bristol and York are all good choices - probably in that order in terms of prestige but all will have good links with London law firms. I believe the opportunities for a varied social life and cultural diversity will be higher at Bristol as it is a bigger city. Durham is an excellent uni but the city is tiny, so I would encourage anyone considering applying there to visit first to check that they can cope with that. Unis may start open days again from September (hopefully!) so I really think you need to visit some unis to see for yourself.

I have also heard some negative things about Durham as you describe, but you do hear negative things about every uni. I think if possible you should visit to see for yourself. If you find that you prefer a bigger city vibe, Bristol is a better option for you and you could also consider Nottingham.

Although you have to take Chambers with a large pinch of salt as there are things it doesn't take into account like the size of a university's law department, nevertheless it is worth looking at, in my opinion. Data from 2019 shows that the university graduates most prominent in city firms are from - in order - Oxbridge, Durham, Overseas, Bristol, Exeter, Warwick, Kings, UCL, Nottingham, LSE.

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/wh...versities-2019
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (93)
71.54%
No (37)
28.46%

Watched Threads