Can someone please help me mark my 12 Marker History ESSAY?

Watch
Nathaniel911
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Explain why Raleigh’s first colony in Virginia failed.
There was many reasons to why Raleigh’s first colony in Virginia failed. The main reason was the failure to set off soon enough and the damage to their ship, The Tiger. Seawater had found its way into the ship, rotting valuable resources that the men needed to survive on Virginia. This was a major setback as they had no food of their own and had to rely on growing crops on the land they were to explore. They set at a time where crops struggled to grow and so they ended up having very limited resources, making the expedition tough to persevere. Not only did the lack of food mean they had to do more physical work, but tensions also arose as farmers were not prepared to do work for the upper classes. This conflict and lack of resources proved detrimental to the colony.
The second reason Raleigh’s colony in Virginia failed is the recruitment of people he chose to accompany him on the voyage. There was a bad mix of people, for example there was too many craftsmen and not enough farmers. They didn’t have the raw materials to make products, and instead of the fort being made out of stone that they had planned, it was made out of wood instead. The wood provided less protection from nearby threats. Overall there was a level of inexperience between the colonists, and they relied heavily on the Native Americans for their survival. The inexperience of the crew lead to the failure to build a strong and sustainable colony.
The last reason why Raleigh’s take-over failed was because the of the threat the Native Americans posed towards the British. Due to disputes, there was many violent clashes between the two groups. At first, they did try to establish relations with the Algonquian people, however it was not enough for the groups to live in harmony with each other. Understandably, the Native Americans were angry at the British taking over their land and killing their people. The colonists soon reached a crisis point and decided to leave the island because the natives had turned hostile towards them and the conditions at the time weren’t suitable for them to live comfortably. The colony in Virginia ultimately failed due to the lack of preparation and unfortunate circumstances.
nm12345
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
is this a GCSE essay?
Nathaniel911
Rep:
(Original post by nm12345)
is this a GCSE essay?
Yes.
nm12345
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Kingjaxter)
Yes.
exam board?
Nathaniel911
Rep:
exam board?
Edexcel.
nm12345
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Kingjaxter)
Edexcel.
Oh I did AQA, sorry mate.
Nathaniel911
Rep:
Oh I did AQA, sorry mate.
That's alright! I might send it to my teacher to mark. It really depends if they take more evidence after our mocks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (4)
6.06%
October 2021 (38)
57.58%
November 2021 (8)
12.12%
December 2021 (7)
10.61%
January 2021 (5)
7.58%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (2)
3.03%