Solom813
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi please can someone help me with this. I’ve done the cross but I’m stuck on the question below

Eye colour and body colour are linked genes in Drosophila fruit flies.

• Red eyes (R) are dominant over white eyes (r)
• Tan body colour (T) is dominant over yellow (t)

Assume red eyes are linked with tan body colour and white eyes are linked with yellow body colour

Cross a homozygous red eyed, tan bodied parent with a homozygous white eyed, yellow bodied parent. Assume crossing over has not happened.

If crossing over had happened in the cross above, would you expect to see any recombinant phenotypes? Explain your answer.
Last edited by Solom813; 3 months ago
Juneptpt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Solom813)
Hi please can someone help me with this. I’ve done the cross but I’m stuck on the question below

Eye colour and body colour are linked genes in Drosophila fruit flies.

• Red eyes (R) are dominant over white eyes (r)
• Tan body colour (T) is dominant over yellow (t)

Assume red eyes are linked with tan body colour and white eyes are linked with yellow body colour

Cross a homozygous red eyed, tan bodied parent with a homozygous white eyed, yellow bodied parent. Assume crossing over has not happened.

If crossing over had happened in the cross above, would you expect to see any recombinant phenotypes? Explain your answer
Which part of the question specifically are you stuck on? Do you know what crossing over and recombinant phenotypes are?
Solom813
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juneptpt)
Which part of the question specifically are you stuck on? Do you know what crossing over and recombinant phenotypes are?
No not really
Juneptpt
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
No not really
Ok, well crossing over happens during meiosis, pairs of homologous chromosomes line up next to each other, and genetic material is swapped between them. The product of this is a recombinant chromosome.

So, a recombinant genotype in your question could be Red eyes and yellow body, or white eyes and tan body.
Last edited by Juneptpt; 3 months ago
Solom813
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juneptpt)
Ok, well crossing over happens during meiosis, pairs of homologous chromosomes line up next to each other, and genetic material is swapped between them. The product of this is a recombinant chromosome.

So, a recombinant genotype in your question could be Red eyes and yellow body, or white eyes and tan body.
Oh ok
So would the answer be yes
How do I explain why
Juneptpt
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oh ok
So would the answer be yes
How do I explain why
Yes, you would expect to see recombinant genotypes. To explain why, I would explain the process of crossing over in meiosis, leading to recombinant chromosomes. I recommend watching youtube videos to help with your understanding and to visualise it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (72)
23.23%
Excited but a bit nervous (137)
44.19%
Not bothered either way (37)
11.94%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise