dazzymc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have to write a response to: How is Romeo presented in Romeo and Juliet?

I so far have 2 paragraphs and am working on a third but would appreciate some feedback and advice on examples for my third para.

Paragraph 1:

Shakespeare uses the construct of Romeo to signify that he is a fickle and introspective character who struggles drastically to control his emotions. Initially, Romeo is depicted by Shakespeare as being at the mercy of his emotions and ruled by his passions when he speaks about his love for Rosaline. He speaks using oxymorons ‘brawling love’, ‘loving hate’ to reflect his confusion over love and how it is troubling him and show his conflicting emotions. Shakespeare uses the powerful metaphor ‘choking gall’ to imply that for Romeo, love is painful and deadly and due to his inability to pull himself out of love, he is destined to suffer because of this fatal flaw. It is made clear that Romeo’s actions during this part of the play present him as a courtly lover, and that Shakespeare’s aim of this characteristic, is to give him the ability to mock the character of Romeo and the ideas and beliefs of courtly lovers, to show how these characteristics vary greatly from the stereotype of an Elizabethan male. In Act 3 Scene 1, Romeo is again portrayed as fickle and enraged by his emotions after the death of Mercutio, that he kills Tybalt out of revenge. His heightened and over-the-top emotions are demonstrated when he uses the metaphor ‘and fire-eyed fury be my conduct now!’. This metaphor expresses how his emotions cause him to act on impulse and without control and the use of the exclamation mark further emphasises his rage which ultimately leads to his downfall and the spiral of negative events that occur after this point in the play (which happen as a result of this fatal flaw). From this point in the play, Shakespeare wants the audience to understand that this event is a significant turning point in the play which provokes and leads to the downfall of the character Romeo. He also uses the character to signify to the audience that he goes against the male stereotype of the era and therefore mocks him for this behaviour and his changeable personality.

Paragraph 2: [I feel like this one needs expanding a little more, but I'm not too sure what to say - I'd appreciate some feedback and maybe some suggestions?]

Romeo is presented by Shakespeare as a narrow-minded lover who does not fully understand the depth of his love, nor the concept of it, entirely. Early in the play, the audience experiences Romeo’s first encounter with Juliet in which he expresses his undying love for her, and he proclaims ‘She doth teach the torches to burn bright’, emphasising Juliet is so beautiful that her beauty is even brighter than a torch. His metaphorical and poetic language is a common theme within the early play, emphasising how he constantly feels the need to compare his love to something, and does not speak from his own mind or simply express his feelings as they come – he appears to always feel the need to twist his words in a poetic manner but by doing this, his words lack compassion and emotion. It could be argued that this shows how he is an inexperienced lover and only understands love from what he has read – thus linking to Juliet’s later statement ‘you kiss by the book’. This could infer that the way he kisses is ritualistic and lacks feeling – that he does not have a full understanding of love and therefore expresses little emotion, doing only what he thinks he should do. In summary, during the beginning of the play he is presented as adolescent as he primarily expresses a shallow desire to feel the sentiments of love rather than the desire to be in love with a person for their feelings to one another. Shakespeare uses the character of Romeo to show how his narrow mindset and rash decisions help create his fatal flaw and his naivety towards love is ultimately the thing that destroys him.

Paragraph 3:

[What I have so far..] Shakespeare uses Romeo’s impulsive nature as a method to prompt the tragedy in the play and use this fatal flaw against him in order to allow him to meet his untimely fate. Throughout the play, there is a series of events in which Romeo’s immaturity and impulsive nature cause him to get forever closer to meeting his fate.

For P3, if anyone has any examples, please let me know. I came up with these but I need some quotes that may work:

Immature and impulsive: rushes into love with Juliet, sneaks into the garden.
Kills Tybalt to avenge Mercutio
Buys poison and decides he Is going to die without waiting for conformation of her death/the friar to tell him what happened
Kills Paris to get to Juliet

Also, CONTEXT - im not sure how to encorporate it into P2 and P3 - if you know, let me know!

Thank you <3
jenojam
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To start with your essay is rlly good dont worry too much about the context,,

I’m not that good at English but:

Romeo is presented as quite melodramatic and self-absorbed in some scenes, e.g. Act 1 Scene 1

He’s also extremely obsessed about girls’ physical appearance.. There are lots of quotes in Act 1 scene 1 actually. He often objectifies women and compares Juliet to valuable possessions - shallow-mindedness etc

Romeo can be self-contradictory and confused sometimes...with the frequent uses of oxymoron
(This probably doesnt help at all sorryyyy)
Last edited by jenojam; 4 weeks ago
dazzymc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jenojam)
To start with your essay is rlly good dont worry too much about the context,,

I’m not that good at English but:

Romeo is presented as quite melodramatic and self-absorbed in some scenes, e.g. Act 1 Scene 1

He’s also extremely obsessed about girls’ physical appearance.. There are lots of quotes in Act 1 scene 1 actually. He often objectifies women and compares Juliet to valuable possessions - shallow-mindedness etc

Romeo can be self-contradictory and confused sometimes...with the frequent uses of oxymoron
(This probably doesnt help at all sorryyyy)
thank you! And thanks so much for the help - it helps a lot don't worry haha!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (3)
25%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (5)
41.67%
I'm unsure (4)
33.33%

Watched Threads