The Student Room Group

Uni Course

I have applied for straight Philosophy courses at a number of universities. I understand that it is difficult to entirely switch course in my case, but I was wondering how difficult it would be if I were to send a request to the university to study a select few economics modules?
Original post by Bsr14
I have applied for straight Philosophy courses at a number of universities. I understand that it is difficult to entirely switch course in my case, but I was wondering how difficult it would be if I were to send a request to the university to study a select few economics modules?

This will be very uni-specific so I'm not sure of the answer really. Have you studied economics before and why do you want to study some economics modules?

One reason why it may be difficult is that uni level economics tends to be very mathematical and very different to a-level economics. Most proper economics courses require a-level maths. As such it's not always easy to study it without it specifically being part of your degree. You should definitely check with your uni department tho
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BenRyan99
This will be very uni-specific so I'm not sure of the answer really. Have you studied economics before and why do you want to study some economics modules?

One reason why it may be difficult is that uni level economics tends to be very mathematical and very different to a-level economics. Most proper economics courses require a-level maths. As such it's not always easy to study it without it specifically being part of your degree. You should definitely check with your uni department tho

Thank you for your response. I will most likely be going to Durham. I have been fairly interested in economics for the last couple of years and I think that studying it would tie in nicely with some of my philosophy. I am studying maths at A level which would hopefully boost my chances?
Original post by Bsr14
Thank you for your response. I will most likely be going to Durham. I have been fairly interested in economics for the last couple of years and I think that studying it would tie in nicely with some of my philosophy. I am studying maths at A level which would hopefully boost my chances?

It sounds like you aren't currently studying it at a-level? I'd highly recommend looking at some economics textbooks before asking if you can do some modules in it so that you're sure you're interested in academic economics. It's just economics as an academic discipline is pretty different to what most people think who haven't studied it. However I can see how philosophy influences economics, it's probably why PPE is popular
Reply 4
It sounds like you aren't currently studying it at a-level? I'd highly recommend looking at some economics textbooks before asking if you can do some modules in it so that you're sure you're interested in academic economics. It's just economics as an academic discipline is pretty different to what most people think who haven't studied it. However I can see how philosophy influences economics, it's probably why PPE is popular

I don't have passion for economics in the same way I do for Philosophy, but I know that there are some modules I would enjoy studying. I have read a little bit about rationality and behavioural economics in the past. I also have some extra experience as my brother is studying Economics and Management. I will make sure to have another look though thank you. Do you think that if I asked to do say one or two modules this would likely be an acceptable request or is this unlikely?
Reply 5

And no I am not studying it at A level, I actually dropped it. I didn't enjoy the A level format and there were a number of topics I found tedious, but then there were some which I really enjoyed.
Original post by Bsr14
I don't have passion for economics in the same way I do for Philosophy, but I know that there are some modules I would enjoy studying. I have read a little bit about rationality and behavioural economics in the past. I also have some extra experience as my brother is studying Economics and Management. I will make sure to have another look though thank you. Do you think that if I asked to do say one or two modules this would likely be an acceptable request or is this unlikely?

I would've thought it was pretty unlikely they'll let you take some economics modules, I know it's not allowed at my university, naturally those doing PPE take some but they're normally different modules to what we do or are the few modules that don't require lots of maths.

Also, modules like behavioural economics tend to be 2nd or 3rd year modules and will require a number of prerequisite modules to be studied which makes it more difficult.

Economics as a subject tends to not really have any module overlaps with subjects other than maths and finance despite economics generally being a very interdisciplinary subject. By this I mean that in my modules I might have maths or finance students as well as economists, but we'd never have humanity or other social science students.

For example, at my uni if you study a humanity or social science, you can typically do optional modules across lots of different degrees (e.g. sociology, anthropology, philosophy, politics, international relations, etc) whereas they would never be able to take Econ modules. Plus, unless those economics modules have open access, it's not like the department would let students pick modules from a across lots of different departments, it would be very difficult to manage for them.
(edited 2 years ago)
There may be interdisciplinary modules you can take, but probably not fully fledged economics modules - especially as many economics modules have other modules as pre- or co-requisites.

As mentioned though, if in doubt contact the university/academic collage.

Quick Reply

Latest