The Student Room Group

Finance options for Post Graduate Studies (MSc Nursing / GEM Medicine)

Hi,

I’m currently studying Biomedical Health undergraduate and I’m trying to weigh up my options in terms of next steps.

I understand that if I was to take the Masters in Adult Nursing that I would be eligible for student finance through those two years.

If I were to complete the masters and further into my career decide to apply for Graduate Entry Medicine would I be eligible for the student finance associated with this course, or would I have exhausted my options within the masters degree? I understand that only a portion of tuition fees for years 2,3 and 4 are provided by SFE and the smaller maintenance loan in those years as the NHS bursary takes over but would I still be eligible for this and the maintenance loan in year 1 of GEM if I accessed the finance for the masters previously?

Thanks for any assistance
Original post by Rebecca1808
Hi,

I’m currently studying Biomedical Health undergraduate and I’m trying to weigh up my options in terms of next steps.

I understand that if I was to take the Masters in Adult Nursing that I would be eligible for student finance through those two years.

If I were to complete the masters and further into my career decide to apply for Graduate Entry Medicine would I be eligible for the student finance associated with this course, or would I have exhausted my options within the masters degree? I understand that only a portion of tuition fees for years 2,3 and 4 are provided by SFE and the smaller maintenance loan in those years as the NHS bursary takes over but would I still be eligible for this and the maintenance loan in year 1 of GEM if I accessed the finance for the masters previously?

Thanks for any assistance

Hi Rebecca, you would be eligible for funding for either the Masters in Adult Nursing or the GEM course as your previous study will not affect eligibility for either courses.

However the funding for the GEM course is different.

Our guidance for GEM funding states:

Tuition Fees
Year 1 The student will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.

Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

Maintenance Funding
Year 1 The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant.

Years 2-4 The student can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Rebecca, you would be eligible for funding for either the Masters in Adult Nursing or the GEM course as your previous study will not affect eligibility for either courses.

However the funding for the GEM course is different.

Our guidance for GEM funding states:

Tuition Fees
Year 1 The student will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.

Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

Maintenance Funding
Year 1 The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant.

Years 2-4 The student can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,

Thanks for your reply. If I were to take the masters in nursing would this affect my ability to take the remaining tuition fee for GEM and the maintenance loan in year 1 of GEM?
Original post by Rebecca1808
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for your reply. If I were to take the masters in nursing would this affect my ability to take the remaining tuition fee for GEM and the maintenance loan in year 1 of GEM?

You can't study/receive funding for both courses at the same time.

If you studied the masters in nursing and qualified and then went onto studying the GEM course, you would be entitled to the GEM funding I mentioned above. Previous study will not affect eligibility.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending