Report Thread starter 5 months ago
thankss
Last edited by Hey its me; 5 months ago
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
This might just be me, but if fraction X have the disease, and fraction Y (of the X) have some type of this disease, the total fraction of the population that have that type is just given by XY, i.e. 1/500 * 1/1000 = 1/(500,000)...

Although I haven't considered any specifics that might apply biologically... anyway... answer might not be correct and someone who majors in Bio should probably give a better look.
Hey its me
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Callicious)
This might just be me, but if fraction X have the disease, and fraction Y (of the X) have some type of this disease, the total fraction of the population that have that type is just given by XY, i.e. 1/500 * 1/1000 = 1/(500,000)...

Although I haven't considered any specifics that might apply biologically... anyway... answer might not be correct and someone who majors in Bio should probably give a better look.
That's what i did but i thought it was wrong since the percentage is really small
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Hey its me)
That's what i did but i thought it was wrong since the percentage is really small
What's the answer?
Hey its me
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
(Original post by Callicious)
What's the answer?
I don't have an answer.
Callicious
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Hey its me)
I don't have an answer.
Mmm...

I'd stick to that 1/500,000 or whatever. It's a small number to be sure, but yeah...

I mean if the UK has like, 80m people, that's about 160 people every second who have it. It clears up within 2 weeks apparently according to Google, which gives something like 4,200 cases a year (assuming an average of 160 people having it every 2 weeks...) which is indeed a pretty small number for something that common...

Anyway, someone else will have to chime in. Without knowing anything else about the matter I can only say that you've got X with a disease and a fraction Y of that X that have a type of that disease, so the total fraction is the product XY, which is that 1/500,000 which is small.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.49%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.8%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.07%
I need help with my personal statement (55)
39.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.17%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.25%

Watched Threads