The Student Room Group

Birth control side effects?

I've been on the mini pill (Cerelle) for a few years now, probably around 4 years I believe. I've never had an issue with it before, from the day I started taking it I never had another period, never had weight gain etc. and it just seemed to work really well for me.
However, in the past few months I've noticed a few changes that I believe might be side effects from my birth control, as they are listed as possible side effects on the NHS website. I've been struggling with my sex drive, usually it is incredibly high for a female and a couple of months ago it completely deteriorated and when I say that I mean it's completely gone. For the past 3-4 months I have had no sexual desire at all in terms of masturbation or sex with my boyfriend and it's beginning to effect our relationship. At first I thought maybe it was my relationship, but then I noticed my ability to feel aroused is completely gone (to the point where any sexual activity with my boyfriend or myself feels non consensual and really really strange) and I noticed other side effects. Mainly that I've become very 'moody' as I feel really hormonal and emotional like how you would the day before your period comes, apart from I get this feeling a lot all of a sudden. Some days I will just feel very emotional and irritable for no real reason and I can tell its hormonal and not linked to anything logical. I also seem to be struggling with my appetite and bloating but due to having IBS I often don't link this to the pill.
I'm just wondering what I should do from here - should I take a break from the pill and see if this helps, or might I end up with irregular bleeding or a period that doesn't stop if I do restart the pill, etc. Do I mention all this to a nurse, or will I just be told to try a different type of birth control? Sadly I'm not wiling nor able to try another type of contraceptive so would taking a different brand of mini pill help or are they all the same? Any advice or experiences welcome
Personally I only had bad experiences with various pills and don't take them. One I cried at nothing all the time. I now know my cycle and how I will feel and I like that. But everyone is different. Why don't you give it a rest for 6 months and see if you feel better? If not you can go back.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I've been on the mini pill (Cerelle) for a few years now, probably around 4 years I believe. I've never had an issue with it before, from the day I started taking it I never had another period, never had weight gain etc. and it just seemed to work really well for me.
However, in the past few months I've noticed a few changes that I believe might be side effects from my birth control, as they are listed as possible side effects on the NHS website. I've been struggling with my sex drive, usually it is incredibly high for a female and a couple of months ago it completely deteriorated and when I say that I mean it's completely gone. For the past 3-4 months I have had no sexual desire at all in terms of masturbation or sex with my boyfriend and it's beginning to effect our relationship. At first I thought maybe it was my relationship, but then I noticed my ability to feel aroused is completely gone (to the point where any sexual activity with my boyfriend or myself feels non consensual and really really strange) and I noticed other side effects. Mainly that I've become very 'moody' as I feel really hormonal and emotional like how you would the day before your period comes, apart from I get this feeling a lot all of a sudden. Some days I will just feel very emotional and irritable for no real reason and I can tell its hormonal and not linked to anything logical. I also seem to be struggling with my appetite and bloating but due to having IBS I often don't link this to the pill.
I'm just wondering what I should do from here - should I take a break from the pill and see if this helps, or might I end up with irregular bleeding or a period that doesn't stop if I do restart the pill, etc. Do I mention all this to a nurse, or will I just be told to try a different type of birth control? Sadly I'm not wiling nor able to try another type of contraceptive so would taking a different brand of mini pill help or are they all the same? Any advice or experiences welcome

As far as I know, Cerelle is the most trusted and brandable name in contraceptive pills. There are chances of some common side effects such as irregular bleeding, irregular periods, reduced sex drive, feeling sick, acne, breast tenderness from taking this pill. And you are facing one of the same, in such a case you should visit the Gynae for better consultation regarding the continuity of this pill. For more information on this, you can read Canada Drugs.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

I just peed my pants :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest