What is a good salary and how should you consider this when choosing a degree?

Watch
mmikolajmm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Most young people applying for university have never lived by themselves or had to support themselves before. Looking up average starting salaries for different degrees, or comparing different career salaries to the UK average, can be helpful but I feel like young people rarely know what a figure actually means when compared to the cost of living, housing etc. (myself included)

What kinds of salaries should people aim for in order to live 'comfortably'? I realise this varies hugely for each person due to preference and where you live but it would be hugely helpful to hear different people's opinions and own experiences.

Also, I realise that studying a subject is about more than just the salary you could get at the end of it, but this is a factor many people consider and I'd be grateful for any responses
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
ignoring all of the obvious virtue signalling responses i could give, i still find this question hard to answer. people have perspectives regarding money/salary/spending that they don't even realise until they meet other people. some people are happy to live on minimum wage to save or to get themselves out there doing something arty, while other people will select into careers incidental of their financial preferences
mmikolajmm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by HoldThisL)
ignoring all of the obvious virtue signalling responses i could give, i still find this question hard to answer. people have perspectives regarding money/salary/spending that they don't even realise until they meet other people. some people are happy to live on minimum wage to save or to get themselves out there doing something arty, while other people will select into careers incidental of their financial preferences
Thanks for the response!
It can be hard to make decisions around finances when you've never lived alone since you have no context to understand salaries etc. Some things you read make it sound like anything below the average salary is unliveable, but then as you said ^ other people are happy to, and do, live on lower wages.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Opinions on what 'a good salary' means in practice will vary a lot- according to geographical location, past lifestyle and personal priorities.
Location, family traditions/upbringing, standard of living, personal ambitions, educational and employment experiences.

Some people are very money motivated, want to buy their own home in their local area/favourite region within 10 years of graduating, aspire to a very high standard of living and are willing to commit in excess of 90 hours a week to achieve their ambitions via a six figure salary.
While other people have a passion for the arts, care system or voluntary sector and work simply to earn enough to pay the necessities for a basic lifestyle.
They are content with working convenient part time shifts or in the gig economy in order to fund the costs of a bedroom in a houseshare, food and a small disposable weekly income.

It is important to remember that no degree or qualification automatically guarantees a student paid employment for life.
At best they provide potential opportunities to learn some of the skills, accumulate relevant experience and make contacts that could be helpful to their future employment prospects.
Last edited by londonmyst; 3 weeks ago
route255
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
At least £1500 a month, to live comfortably. I would want to save for a house too.
the_queen
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by route255)
At least £1500 a month, to live comfortably. I would want to save for a house too.
Gross or net? Where in the UK?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (129)
34.96%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (49)
13.28%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (22)
5.96%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (36)
9.76%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (49)
13.28%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (43)
11.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (41)
11.11%

Watched Threads