The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying again after 4 rejections?

Hi, wondering if i could get some advice from anyone who is experienced with the application process.

Im in year 13 and i applied this year, ive ended up with 4 rejections (without interview) its a massive bummer but im pretty much set on dentistry but tbh im not sure if i have what it takes to get in my stats are:

UCAT: 2530 B2 (couldve been better)
AAA(A EPQ)

applied to:
Birmingham
Bristol
Plymouth
Liverpool

I know i could improve my UCAT score but is it possible for me to get in at this rate? Im head boy at sixth form, have evidence of manual dexterity but I didnt get much work experience maybe this was a factor? Is there anything you could recommend that you did maybe did different the second time round or just some advice overall?

P.S any advice is appreciated but id appreciate it if people are nice about it not getting in is tough last thing i need is someone taking the mick out of me thx
I would say it's worth trying again, some people spend years trying to get into uni. Do what you can yo make your application better. If you can increase your UCAT that should help, and some extra work experience will definitely strengthen your application too so if you really want to do dentistry then i'd say give it a shot.
Reply 2
Original post by Kogomogo
I would say it's worth trying again, some people spend years trying to get into uni. Do what you can yo make your application better. If you can increase your UCAT that should help, and some extra work experience will definitely strengthen your application too so if you really want to do dentistry then i'd say give it a shot.

thanks man i appreciate the reply, ive heard getting in post grad is way harder than undergrad and its something that you should avoid, do you know anything about this?
Original post by rkc3487
thanks man i appreciate the reply, ive heard getting in post grad is way harder than undergrad and its something that you should avoid, do you know anything about this?

I'm not sure tbh as i don't do dentistry. I would have thought that undergrad would be the best route in if you're set on it. In the grand scheme of things one or even two gap years is nothing when compared to a 40 year long career so if you want to go that route i'd say give it a shot. You can always use that time well to get a job and save up some money, and get the experience to make yourself a better candidate. AAA seem like great grades to me so it could just be down to the UCAT, experience or statement.
Reply 4
Original post by Kogomogo
I'm not sure tbh as i don't do dentistry. I would have thought that undergrad would be the best route in if you're set on it. In the grand scheme of things one or even two gap years is nothing when compared to a 40 year long career so if you want to go that route i'd say give it a shot. You can always use that time well to get a job and save up some money, and get the experience to make yourself a better candidate. AAA seem like great grades to me so it could just be down to the UCAT, experience or statement.

thank you!
I would definitely encourage you to reapply. Getting 4 rejections is incredibly disheartening but please don’t let it get you down. The application process is tough, and not standardised.
I would advise you to:
- Focus on your exams and try your best to get the highest grades you can (beyond AAA if you can).
- Practice for the UCAT again - consider your first one as a ‘practice run’ and think about where your strengths and weaknesses were. The higher your score, the greater your chances at securing interviews.
- Ask for feedback from any interviews you had.
- Use your gap year to try and look for more work experience - even if it’s online. Try volunteering or working in healthcare (as a HCA perhaps) if you can.

You’ll also need to apply strategically. I can’t remember from the top of my head but the universities you’ve applied to may not have been playing to your strengths.
Reply 6
I'd definitely recommend you re-apply if your heart is truly set on dentistry. Like medicine, it is an extremely competitive course to get on and many people don't get in on their first application cycle.

You've had great advice from Mesopotamian.
Reply 7
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I would definitely encourage you to reapply. Getting 4 rejections is incredibly disheartening but please don’t let it get you down. The application process is tough, and not standardised.
I would advise you to:
- Focus on your exams and try your best to get the highest grades you can (beyond AAA if you can).
- Practice for the UCAT again - consider your first one as a ‘practice run’ and think about where your strengths and weaknesses were. The higher your score, the greater your chances at securing interviews.
- Ask for feedback from any interviews you had.
- Use your gap year to try and look for more work experience - even if it’s online. Try volunteering or working in healthcare (as a HCA perhaps) if you can.

You’ll also need to apply strategically. I can’t remember from the top of my head but the universities you’ve applied to may not have been playing to your strengths.

Thank you for taking the time out to reply and giving me some reassurance! Definitely will take your advice on board, my only concern is if i dont get in again thats another year lost is there any cap on how many times someone should apply before just calling it quits?
Reply 8
Original post by Debs25
I'd definitely recommend you re-apply if your heart is truly set on dentistry. Like medicine, it is an extremely competitive course to get on and many people don't get in on their first application cycle.

You've had great advice from Mesopotamian.

Thank you for the reassurance :smile:
Original post by rkc3487
Thank you for taking the time out to reply and giving me some reassurance! Definitely will take your advice on board, my only concern is if i dont get in again thats another year lost is there any cap on how many times someone should apply before just calling it quits?

There’s no set limit - there are people in the current applicant cycle who are reapplying for the second time, making this year their 3rd attempt.

Your concern is valid and if you think you don’t want to reapply for a second time, then realistically you could go for the 5th back up option. However at the moment, I think just try and create a clear plan for yourself for 2021/22 and focus on getting into dentistry.

Do bear in mind however, that even if you start university at age 20/21/22, it’s not a big deal and pretty normal actually. People don’t care about age at university, so do what you feel is right for you. If you can secure a job for 1 or 2 years whilst you reapply, then yes you might start university a little later, but you’ll also be more financially stable than your peers, which is great if you’re planning to live out.
Original post by rkc3487
Hi, wondering if i could get some advice from anyone who is experienced with the application process.

Im in year 13 and i applied this year, ive ended up with 4 rejections (without interview) its a massive bummer but im pretty much set on dentistry but tbh im not sure if i have what it takes to get in my stats are:

UCAT: 2530 B2 (couldve been better)
AAA(A EPQ)

applied to:
Birmingham
Bristol
Plymouth
Liverpool

I know i could improve my UCAT score but is it possible for me to get in at this rate? Im head boy at sixth form, have evidence of manual dexterity but I didnt get much work experience maybe this was a factor? Is there anything you could recommend that you did maybe did different the second time round or just some advice overall?

P.S any advice is appreciated but id appreciate it if people are nice about it not getting in is tough last thing i need is someone taking the mick out of me thx

I am in the exact same position!! I applied to Liverpool, Plymouth, Queen Belfast and Cardiff. I didn’t get any interviews and my GCSEs are 9,9,8,8,8,8,7,7. I hadn’t had any work experience and my UCAT was only 2,400 due to other circumstances. But I’m reapplying again after having done some virtual work experience and planning to retake my UCAT. my predicted grades are the same as yours but I’m now working to secure A*AA and an A* in EPQ. And don’t feel disheartened or upset because so many people are in this position and it’s so difficult to get a place in dentistry.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Margot.smith3
I am in the exact same position!! I applied to Liverpool, Plymouth, Queen Belfast and Cardiff. I didn’t get any interviews and my GCSEs are 9,9,8,8,8,8,7,7. I hadn’t had any work experience and my UCAT was only 2,400 due to other circumstances. But I’m reapplying again after having done some virtual work experience and planning to retake my UCAT. my predicted grades are the same as yours but I’m now working to secure A*AA and an A* in EPQ. And don’t feel disheartened or upset because so many people are in this position and it’s so difficult to get a place in dentistry.

I wish we werent in this position but it is nice to know there are other people in this position haha, thank you for the reassurance tho :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest