Celzo7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm currently in secondary school I've chosen to do Psychology, Biology and Chemistry for my A-levels wanting to do something related to medicine, but I also wanted to try and do engineering... I was going to change my A-levels to Maths, Biology and Chemistry or Physics, Biology and Maths, as I was told I was limiting myself with what universities I can get into with my previous options and I tried using UCAS but I'm still unsure, but I'm afraid I won't enjoy those.

If I do keep the options of biology, chemistry and psychology, what good career can you go into with these subjects?
heldbygrace
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Dentistry it involves a lot of design and art like engineering. Constant use of hands as well.
Last edited by heldbygrace; 3 weeks ago
Dragon264
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Lots of universities say the required a-levels or helpful subjects for the specific course! The complete university guide is also a really good website for things like this.
Dragon264
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’ve had a little look and it says that biology and chemistry are essential which might mean that you can be a little flexible with your third subject. Don’t forget that you can take 4 subjects if you want!
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing and Allied Health courses.
Biomedical Science, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, Plant Science, Environmental Science, Marine / Ocean Science.
Zoology, Animal Science, Veterinary Science, Vet Nursing, Animal Behaviour
Psychology, Neuroscience.
Sports Science, Nutrition, Dietetics.
Etc, etc.
emek4official
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You could try to do 4 A Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. That way you keep your options open.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by emek4official)
You could try to do 4 A Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. That way you keep your options open.
Its recommended that you don't do 4 A level subjects. No University wants more than 3, and doing more is likely to lead to lower grades all round. AAA will always look better than ABBB
Celzo7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thank you so much for the responses! I’ll review what was said and ask for advice again.
phoebexo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Celzo7)
I'm currently in secondary school I've chosen to do Psychology, Biology and Chemistry for my A-levels wanting to do something related to medicine, but I also wanted to try and do engineering... I was going to change my A-levels to Maths, Biology and Chemistry or Physics, Biology and Maths, as I was told I was limiting myself with what universities I can get into with my previous options and I tried using UCAS but I'm still unsure, but I'm afraid I won't enjoy those.

If I do keep the options of biology, chemistry and psychology, what good career can you go into with these subjects?
I do biology, chemistry and psychology and I want to study dentistry. It's quite a common combination for med and healthcare applicants in my school as well! Also there is no 'good' career - it's all up to what things you're looking to get out of a career (e.g. do you like hands-on work, do you like communicating with people etc.) Good luck! If you have any questions I can try to help
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Celzo7)

Hey

Most Universities state online their requirements for each subject, so you may be able to find a few different subject variations that fit your A-Levels around them.

I really recommend the WhatUni website (https://www.whatuni.com/) as it lets you put in a degree subject and it tells you what A-Levels are needed, and what Universities run the course too.

Despite fitting subjects around future careers which is sometimes required, I also think it is really important to pick subjects you will enjoy as A-Levels are in depth and it will help a lot

Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (129)
34.96%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (49)
13.28%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (22)
5.96%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (36)
9.76%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (49)
13.28%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (43)
11.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (41)
11.11%

Watched Threads