Should I apply for a level 3 or a level 4 apprenticeship?

Watch
“pro”crastinator
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
A first year college student studying software development. I’ll gain a foundation diploma (level 3) but it seems redundant to apply for apprenticeships at the same level. I don’t have any work experience so that’s why I also find it unwise to apply for level 4s. In a bit of a loop, as both are valid options but I can’t determine if either one would be a waste of time.

Please help me
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I did a level three then a level 4.
The work experience can be transferable, but if you’ve already got A levels, just do the level 4.
2 of the 4 cohort just did A levels before their level 4 apprenticeship, and the other 2 like myself had done a level 3.

Regardless, I’d apply for both. Better to reject them after you’ve received offers than before.
“pro”crastinator
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Chris2892)
I did a level three then a level 4.
The work experience can be transferable, but if you’ve already got A levels, just do the level 4.
2 of the 4 cohort just did A levels before their level 4 apprenticeship, and the other 2 like myself had done a level 3.

Regardless, I’d apply for both. Better to reject them after you’ve received offers than before.
I completed my A levels last year but the subjects themselves are irrelevant to software development. I changed my career prospects during the original lockdown and I don’t have any work experience of note. I did a few days of warehouse work back in Year 10 but due to personal circumstances, it was cut short so I don’t even bother mentioning it on my forms.

The diploma I’ll get at the end of this year isn’t a complete level 3 qualification but I feel it might be too much to apply for level 3 apprenticeships when I basically have all the knowledge I’d need - only lacking in relevant work experience. At the same time, I think level 4s could be a step too high as they ask for a good level 3 qualification as well as some work experience as a starting point. It’s not mandatory to have WE but it would definitely help my performance on the job.
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by “pro”crastinator)
I completed my A levels last year but the subjects themselves are irrelevant to software development. I changed my career prospects during the original lockdown and I don’t have any work experience of note. I did a few days of warehouse work back in Year 10 but due to personal circumstances, it was cut short so I don’t even bother mentioning it on my forms.

The diploma I’ll get at the end of this year isn’t a complete level 3 qualification but I feel it might be too much to apply for level 3 apprenticeships when I basically have all the knowledge I’d need - only lacking in relevant work experience. At the same time, I think level 4s could be a step too high as they ask for a good level 3 qualification as well as some work experience as a starting point. It’s not mandatory to have WE but it would definitely help my performance on the job.
There’s nothing wrong with starting a level 3 anyway.
I started at 2 and just finished my level 6.

You can work your way up and get paid whilst you do it. I still use knowledge I gained from my level 2 and 3 in my post-graduate level role.

Going back to experience, it’s a talent in its own being able to identify your own strengths and skills, even more so to communicate them effectively. You likely have more worth than you realise.

Gallup’s Strengthfinder is a good book/insights quiz to get if you have difficulties identifying your personal strengths. This helped me with my interviews.
Last edited by Chris2892; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (85)
36.02%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (38)
16.1%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (10)
4.24%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (24)
10.17%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (29)
12.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (28)
11.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
9.32%

Watched Threads