The Student Room Group

should i change my engineering major

hi!! i'm ria and i'm pretty concerned about my academic future right now im studying at chemical engineering and currently at a third year. pretty much i can say i really dont like my major i hate my %90 of my classes , i cant study i dont have motivation to study (im re taking my 2nd year clasess) and also i have adhd and focusing on classes i dont interested in is so difficult for me. Also when i think about the future i dont want to be chemical engineering if finish that major i want to get masters degree on biology and genetics but i feel like i cant make it up. so this made me think about switching my major to biology and genetics major but i have to re take university enterance exam and im concerned about it what if i fail again. Should i continue this major and get that degre somehow (i dont know how to so if u have any advice on this please tell me) or should i risk it all and switch my major ? Please help me.
Original post by adhdriia
hi!! i'm ria and i'm pretty concerned about my academic future right now im studying at chemical engineering and currently at a third year. pretty much i can say i really dont like my major i hate my %90 of my classes , i cant study i dont have motivation to study (im re taking my 2nd year clasess) and also i have adhd and focusing on classes i dont interested in is so difficult for me. Also when i think about the future i dont want to be chemical engineering if finish that major i want to get masters degree on biology and genetics but i feel like i cant make it up. so this made me think about switching my major to biology and genetics major but i have to re take university enterance exam and im concerned about it what if i fail again. Should i continue this major and get that degre somehow (i dont know how to so if u have any advice on this please tell me) or should i risk it all and switch my major ? Please help me.

Which country are you in?

You can try to look into biological engineering, which will involve biology and possibly genetics, since it will not be that vastly different from general engineering, but it might require biology prerequisites. If they do, you might want to redo your entrance exams and switch entirely to biology to save you the headache.

I don't think you can move onto a master's in biology and genetics from a chemical engineering undergraduate, since biological sciences will follow a life science route, whereas the chemical engineering follows either physics or engineering (not so much chemical if it does). If you want to go into life sciences, you're more likely to need to do another bachelor's anyway.
If you don't like that much of your degree, then chances are you are likely to end up doing badly in it, especially when chemical engineering isn't exactly an easy topic you can skive through. How are your grades for your second and first year? I'd recommend you speak to your course advisor regarding the above.
Do note, to get into life sciences, you are more or less expecting to need at least one postgrad degree to get into the field. In some cases, the master's might not be enough, especially if there's strong competition and you don't have extensive lab experience.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Which country are you in?

You can try to look into biological engineering, which will involve biology and possibly genetics, since it will not be that vastly different from general engineering, but it might require biology prerequisites. If they do, you might want to redo your entrance exams and switch entirely to biology to save you the headache.

I don't think you can move onto a master's in biology and genetics from a chemical engineering undergraduate, since biological sciences will follow a life science route, whereas the chemical engineering follows either physics or engineering (not so much chemical if it does). If you want to go into life sciences, you're more likely to need to do another bachelor's anyway.
If you don't like that much of your degree, then chances are you are likely to end up doing badly in it, especially when chemical engineering isn't exactly an easy topic you can skive through. How are your grades for your second and first year? I'd recommend you speak to your course advisor regarding the above.
Do note, to get into life sciences, you are more or less expecting to need at least one postgrad degree to get into the field. In some cases, the master's might not be enough, especially if there's strong competition and you don't have extensive lab experience.

thank you for your reply !!! i'm studying at turkey. And my grades are not great actually my gpa was 2.07 last year this year its 2.45. i'm trying to fix my grades but as i said i cant find the motivation to study because classes does not attarct me. I'll definitely look at bioeng program in my university, i hope it is isnt too much engineering and physics as my current major

Quick Reply

Latest