Hard to make friends with entrenched social groups

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I've been going out and doing things more lately and have noticed how hard it is to make friends, genuine or otherwise these days with most people. This usually comes from people being stuck in their own social groups and might be polite enough to say hi, but otherwise aren't bothered and seem to be content with others they already know well, even after knowing them for some time. This was the same in sixth form, uni and now even through hobbies or online, it's close to impossible to build close connections or even find a relationship especially if you're starting from scratch with barely any friends or not in any social groups of your own. I've tried to invite people to things or follow/message them on social media if I've come into contact with them before but I'm either left on read or the person isn't interested but goes out with their other friends.

Don't mind doing things alone, as there's plenty of times I prefer my own peace of mind but it gets frustrating doing absolutely everything without anyone else to chat or make a joke to.
DepressedLife
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m not an expert in advice but try to talk to them Dave do face instead of online? If they’re working around you whether it’s a work place or uni, try to find ways to help them in order to build a connection but
Avoid being their follower who ends up being taken advantage of!!
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Look online to see if anybody is looking for friends
LoveAmore
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've been going out and doing things more lately and have noticed how hard it is to make friends, genuine or otherwise these days with most people. This usually comes from people being stuck in their own social groups and might be polite enough to say hi, but otherwise aren't bothered and seem to be content with others they already know well, even after knowing them for some time. This was the same in sixth form, uni and now even through hobbies or online, it's close to impossible to build close connections or even find a relationship especially if you're starting from scratch with barely any friends or not in any social groups of your own. I've tried to invite people to things or follow/message them on social media if I've come into contact with them before but I'm either left on read or the person isn't interested but goes out with their other friends.

Don't mind doing things alone, as there's plenty of times I prefer my own peace of mind but it gets frustrating doing absolutely everything without anyone else to chat or make a joke to.
I'd recommend the website Meetup. There's so many online groups available through Zoom on there, tailored to a wide range of interests. I find it's pretty easy to make friends when you have mutual interests. I think I've even seen some groups on there even designated to making friends / developing social skills. One group I'd really recommend though (if it aligns with your interests) is 'London Online Philosophy Group', which meet on Zoom every Monday at 7pm. You don't need any experience in philosophy and they use breakout rooms (as there are usually about 50 members in total) so you can choose whichever topic interests you. There's usually between 5-10 people in each breakout room so it's pretty easy to talk and get to know people etc. There's also a range of ages, often a few uni students, several in their 20s, 30s and many older too. After the main talk is up they switch to 'pub mode' where people just chat casually about anything and everything in small groups (you choose a breakout room once again), which could be quite good if you're looking to make friends
Anonymous #1
Look online to see if anybody is looking for friends
I guess you can on here or other sites but I've tried in the past and it never seems to work out
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DepressedLife)
I’m not an expert in advice but try to talk to them Dave do face instead of online? If they’re working around you whether it’s a work place or uni, try to find ways to help them in order to build a connection but
Avoid being their follower who ends up being taken advantage of!!
Hard at the moment-when things start easing more I'll do more face to face stuff. I'm not in uni or work but trying to be more proactive when I do come across situations where people might want to talk or need help.

Yeah being a follower online or offline never helps from past experience.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
I guess you can on here or other sites but I've tried in the past and it never seems to work out
Have you tried sites that are specifically there to look for friends?
Anonymous #1
Have you tried sites that are specifically there to look for friends?
Yeah I signed up to meet-up a few months ago. Also tried some uni chats as I’m thinking of heading back to uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
64.94%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise