What am I supposed to do career-wise when I don't particularly care about anything?

Watch
sophieisdecent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
For context, I'm in year 11.

I thought I wanted to do film at uni and pursue a career as a screenwriter, but all passion I had for that's faded over the past couple of weeks. I already told my future head of sixth form that I want to do this career path, so now I'll have to explain I don't want to do it anymore.

I've been considering a career in law, specifically criminal law as a solicitor, but then I realised that doing a degree in law would be stressful and doing the conversion course would probably be too much of a hassle for me. I was also considering a law and criminology course, but I don't know if the workload would be lower than that of a law degree on its own. If it was, then I'll probably just do that. If I'm going to end up miserable, I might as well get a well-paying job so I can afford stuff that might make me a little less miserable.

I've also considered forensic psychology, but there are limited courses for it and, while I'm somewhat interested in it, I feel like putting myself in that environment might make me more cynical than I already am.

I'm not sure what career I'd want to do, since it feels like I grow to hate every career I become interested in, or any career I consider pursuing might negatively affect me in the long-run. For example, I've considered being a secondary school teacher, but I feel like trapping myself in secondary school for years after I've finished it would seriously stunt my emotional growth and make me miserable.

I have no idea what to do.

I just feel kind of numb and it feels like I don't care about anything, including myself. I don't even care that much about others in general, so I don't want to do a job revolved around helping others.
Paul Vincent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sophieisdecent)
For context, I'm in year 11.

I thought I wanted to do film at uni and pursue a career as a screenwriter, but all passion I had for that's faded over the past couple of weeks. I already told my future head of sixth form that I want to do this career path, so now I'll have to explain I don't want to do it anymore.

I've been considering a career in law, specifically criminal law as a solicitor, but then I realised that doing a degree in law would be stressful and doing the conversion course would probably be too much of a hassle for me. I was also considering a law and criminology course, but I don't know if the workload would be lower than that of a law degree on its own. If it was, then I'll probably just do that. If I'm going to end up miserable, I might as well get a well-paying job so I can afford stuff that might make me a little less miserable.

I've also considered forensic psychology, but there are limited courses for it and, while I'm somewhat interested in it, I feel like putting myself in that environment might make me more cynical than I already am.

I'm not sure what career I'd want to do, since it feels like I grow to hate every career I become interested in, or any career I consider pursuing might negatively affect me in the long-run. For example, I've considered being a secondary school teacher, but I feel like trapping myself in secondary school for years after I've finished it would seriously stunt my emotional growth and make me miserable.

I have no idea what to do.

I just feel kind of numb and it feels like I don't care about anything, including myself. I don't even care that much about others in general, so I don't want to do a job revolved around helping others.
Become a Tory politician.
sophieisdecent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Paul Vincent)
Become a Tory politician.
I hope you're proud of that one.
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You’re in year 11 but you’re talking like a 40 year old drop out working minimum wage! Try to calm down. If you’re genuinely not sure now, just focus on your next step which is picking A levels. I try to encourage people to pick a combination that will keep options open: at least one science and a core humanities subject will ensure that most things aren’t closed to you and then picking a subject based on personal interest for your third will make sure you know you’re going to end up enjoying yourself and that you’re likely to end up in something you’ll enjoy too.

I’ve changed my mind more times than I care to remember and I’m possibly about to do a second career change on top of one I’ve already done. It’s never too late to change your mind and you’ve got room for more than one career in you. Don’t think you have to pick obvious careers like lawyer or teacher either. There are plenty of jobs that have no set career pathway. Part of going to university is figuring out what interests you and a degree is still a very good way to work that out. If you don’t know, you don’t know! And that’s fine. No one expects you to at this stage in your life. You’ve got time to work it out. University is your space for working that out.
Last edited by giella; 2 weeks ago
bossman24
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (98)
72.59%
No (37)
27.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise