dinoc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
also does anyone recommend taking a placement? like does it actually help or is it a waste of time and i could get a job as easily even if i didn't take a placement year? if you recommend a placement year, is it hard to get a placement at a company?
Skatie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Completely depends on the subject. It might be useful to get some experience, and then they'll be a bit more forgiving if you make mistakes, allowing you to get to grips with it more. Especially if it's a lot of responsibility, like medical jobs.

It might also look better when you do apply for a job, but if you're confident that you'd be able to do the job without, you could give it a miss and start with paid work later on.

Personally I'm not doing a placement year because I'm doing a BSc Culinary Arts and I don't want to go directly into the industry, I want to teach secondary school. So it also depends exactly what you want to do after uni.
dinoc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Skatie)
Completely depends on the subject. It might be useful to get some experience, and then they'll be a bit more forgiving if you make mistakes, allowing you to get to grips with it more. Especially if it's a lot of responsibility, like medical jobs.

It might also look better when you do apply for a job, but if you're confident that you'd be able to do the job without, you could give it a miss and start with paid work later on.

Personally I'm not doing a placement year because I'm doing a BSc Culinary Arts and I don't want to go directly into the industry, I want to teach secondary school. So it also depends exactly what you want to do after uni.
i'm going to be taking biochemistry and i don't have a firm idea of what i want to do in the future yet. how do i know if i could get a job without it though haha i mean i hope i do get a job but if i can is another thing. i am an international student so would it be better for me to do a placement?
Skatie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dinoc)
i'm going to be taking biochemistry and i don't have a firm idea of what i want to do in the future yet. how do i know if i could get a job without it though haha i mean i hope i do get a job but if i can is another thing. i am an international student so would it be better for me to do a placement?
If you're not sure what you want to do, maybe a placement is a good idea then. It would give you some experience and then you could decide if that job is for you or not.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do it.

One of the major problems for graduates is having no 'experience' - ie. paper qualifications but no relevant practical work experience on your CV. A placement gets you over this issue and therefore will put you job application above those without that experience. It also gives you a relevant reference - and often *money* which is always useful mid-degree. Many placements turn into first jobs - always useful in that sudden summer-rush of new grads into the work force.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (19)
9.13%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (126)
60.58%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.42%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
13.94%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.92%

Watched Threads