John LR
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,
Stuck on the Cascade where co-enzyme 5 is modified by thrombin (undergoes cleavage), the now modified co-enzyme 5 can do what co-enzymes do best and bond with factor 10 (which already been activated by factor 7 and 9).

The now activated 10, with the modified co-enzyme 5, can get to work on Pro-thrombin, producing that all important thrombin !

But in order for co-enzyme 5 to work on factor 10, it need to be modified (cleavage) by Thrombin - and for thrombin to be produced it needs factor 10 (with the help of modified co-enzyme factor 5)

So what you end up with is no thrombin, no modified co-factor 5, which means no workable factor 10, which means no Thrombin.

What am I missing - can factor 10 work in creating thrombin without co-enzyme 5 - is it something like that - where co-enzyme 5 not vital just make everything more efficient ?

Anyone knows - John
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by John LR)
Hi,
Stuck on the Cascade where co-enzyme 5 is modified by thrombin (undergoes cleavage), the now modified co-enzyme 5 can do what co-enzymes do best and bond with factor 10 (which already been activated by factor 7 and 9).

The now activated 10, with the modified co-enzyme 5, can get to work on Pro-thrombin, producing that all important thrombin !

But in order for co-enzyme 5 to work on factor 10, it need to be modified (cleavage) by Thrombin - and for thrombin to be produced it needs factor 10 (with the help of modified co-enzyme factor 5)

So what you end up with is no thrombin, no modified co-factor 5, which means no workable factor 10, which means no Thrombin.

What am I missing - can factor 10 work in creating thrombin without co-enzyme 5 - is it something like that - where co-enzyme 5 not vital just make everything more efficient ?

Anyone knows - John
I understand your confusion, it’s a bit like which came first, the chicken or the egg. I think you’re getting too caught up in the details. The truth is, there is always going to be some activated factor V (FVa) and there is always going to be some activated thrombin, it’s not as though there is absolutely no activated FVa or thrombin around.

By the way, I would call factor V co-enzyme V, I’ve never heard it being referred to that way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (35)
15.15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (70)
30.3%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (28)
12.12%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (20)
8.66%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.63%
I think it's an unfair expectation (62)
26.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed