I only made one friend at uni and that's making me really sad

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi

This year is my first year at uni and I only went to campus the first months because since then we have had online classes. Being a first year this has been very hard because I didn't know anyone at uni.
In september I met a group of people and we hanged out during classes, but I didn't go out with them to bars or restaurants because I was afraid of covid, so it started feeling like some of them stopped hanging out with me, I don't know if because of this or if they just didn't like me from the start. I have only texted some of them a few times during the year, and we talked when we met at exams, but that's it. I didn't feel very comfortable with some people in that group, but still it makes me sad we don't even talk about class from time to time.
Then I had do work on several projects with classmates I didn't know so we texted and talked, and some of them seemed nice but we only talked about class and after finishing our projects we stopped talking at all.
I only have one friend and classmate I do actually talk to and I feel so lucky to have meet her. The thing is that we have not met to hang out even once and I have asked a couple of times and I feel anxious about asking again. And what makes me really, really sad is that she wants to go to other university next year.
It makes me sad because then our friendship would probably suffer, but mainly it makes me sad and anxious because I know people already have groups of friends and I don't.
It makes me so sad that an entire school year has (almost) passed and I have not enjoyed it or experienced anything. I only made one friend and she probably won't be at uni next year. I really wanted to meet people, I feel so lonely.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Awh it’s okay many people go through this stage at their first year of uni, i would say sign up for opportunities offered by the uni like meetings or any other voluntary work to get a chance of meeting others who might also have joined this work because they relate to you.

Another advice is to not try to impress people or seek validation because you will be taken advantage of, just be yourself and try to be kind towards others but don’t do it too much hope this helps! Any other questions just ask
JonesCharlie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Similar situation bought uni accommodation (wasted money)went to class twice for both times there were enough people including teachers to count on one hand, dont know a single person personally in my course, talked to some which i was doing group tasks with but contact is minimal, spent some time in my accommodation couped up alone , not depressed always found something to distract myself with. Best part dont know what will happen next year since times are uncertain. If you dont have anything to do or have lots of time to spare simply distract yourself with something else like find some part time work or find a hobby and dedicate lots of time on it. That way it will help you stop having unnecessary thoughts that would continue to stress you out and make you anxious. This pandemic is not going to go away even after vaccination so i would suggest getting used to this new reality
hugechessbrain
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i dont have friends at uni, i just watch anime and play games
Indigowaves
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Same boat, Im in my first year too and so far it's been quite lonely LOOL we only had in-person time during the months of Oct/Nov but that was abt it. That was literally the only time I got to talk to my classmates and haven't spoken to them since. I was REALLY vouching to join societies to meet people but unfortunately they've all been postponed for the year, so there went my main chance of making friends. Theres also the addition of me living at home so it's especially harder to meet anyone. I fear when 2nd year comes round everyone would've found their groups and then there's me 😅😅 Hopefully restrictions will ease up, i swear if they keep us online for ANOTHER year lmaoooooo
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi

This year is my first year at uni and I only went to campus the first months because since then we have had online classes. Being a first year this has been very hard because I didn't know anyone at uni.
In september I met a group of people and we hanged out during classes, but I didn't go out with them to bars or restaurants because I was afraid of covid, so it started feeling like some of them stopped hanging out with me, I don't know if because of this or if they just didn't like me from the start. I have only texted some of them a few times during the year, and we talked when we met at exams, but that's it. I didn't feel very comfortable with some people in that group, but still it makes me sad we don't even talk about class from time to time.
Then I had do work on several projects with classmates I didn't know so we texted and talked, and some of them seemed nice but we only talked about class and after finishing our projects we stopped talking at all.
I only have one friend and classmate I do actually talk to and I feel so lucky to have meet her. The thing is that we have not met to hang out even once and I have asked a couple of times and I feel anxious about asking again. And what makes me really, really sad is that she wants to go to other university next year.
It makes me sad because then our friendship would probably suffer, but mainly it makes me sad and anxious because I know people already have groups of friends and I don't.
It makes me so sad that an entire school year has (almost) passed and I have not enjoyed it or experienced anything. I only made one friend and she probably won't be at uni next year. I really wanted to meet people, I feel so lonely.
Hey!

I thought I'd share my experience with you. I’m currently a student at Strathclyde studying on the Diploma program to become a lawyer. I was really nervous before I started my undergrad as I moved away to study and lived three hours from my home city. During my first year I didn't make a lot of friends until the second semester. Like yourself, I made friends with people the first semester but they didn't want to make an effort and I always felt like I was making the effort with them.

I had an induction the first day of the re-freshers event during the second semester and I was really nervous about going along to it! I met two girls after a tutorial and we went along to all the freshers events that week. We became such good friends that we decided to flat share in second year so you'll never know who you'll meet at uni!

There’s lots of ways to make friends at uni either with people on your course, through the societies you join or flatmates if you're staying in halls. Most universities hold freshers events during the first week of the semester. Lots of societies attend freshers week so it's a great way to meet some of their members if you're interested in a particular society! I joined the Women's Gaelic Football team and met lots of new people who are now close friends of mine.

It's been a tough year on everyone and lots of people will be feeling the same way as you! Hopefully, with COVID restrictions easing, you'll be able to attend classes on campus and meet people in person. Go along to the freshers fair and have a look on your uni website to see what opportunities are available for students. I've worked as a student ambassador for the past three years and it's been a great way to meet people from other courses!

Hope this helps

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Last edited by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (4)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
25%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (0)
0%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
12.5%

Watched Threads