Any widening participation universities programmes open for applications?

Watch
eighthirty
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Im in year 12.
I have only just found out that universities provide programmes that allow disadvantaged students to gain insight into their courses etc and sometimes participation means that they are eligible for contextual offers. I am quite late and for every uni I've looked at, applications are closed.
Does anyone know of universities that are currently offering a programme like this?
Hopefully this makes sense

im referring to things like summer schools, etc
Last edited by eighthirty; 4 weeks ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Probably not for 2021 entry, as the deadline for equal consideration was in January for 2021 entry. For 2022 entry when the new application cycle starts up in the coming academic year then presumably all will be continuing as usual. That is for specific programmes (e.g. medicine with an additional year) of course; universities should and do usually consider the context in which applications are made, whenever they are made. However as above the main deadline for this year has passed and so while some programmes may still be accepting applications, not all will be, and none are required to consider your application equally with others received before the deadline (hence, probably better to focus on applying in the next application cycle for 2022 entry, which will start up in September this year or so).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 weeks ago
Googley_eyes
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I didn’t understand. What are you looking for? Widening participation means you have to hit very specific criteria. What insight are you looking for?

Also you cannot apply until next year’s applications. They were closed in January and no one will accept an application this late. Most unis have already given out most of their offers.
eighthirty
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Googley_eyes)
I didn’t understand. What are you looking for? Widening participation means you have to hit very specific criteria. What insight are you looking for?

Also you cannot apply until next year’s applications. They were closed in January and no one will accept an application this late. Most unis have already given out most of their offers.
Yeah for disadvantaged students that don't live in areas of high progression, ethnic minorities etc. I didn't get that across in my original post sorry but things like summer schools
Googley_eyes
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by eighthirty)
Yeah for disadvantaged students that don't live in areas of high progression, ethnic minorities etc. I didn't get that across in my original post sorry but things like summer schools
Oh. Yeah I mean like every summer school I ever found for something I was interested in was either so expensive only rich people could afford it, or free but for black people only or girls.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Since most, if not all, Summer Schools will be online this year, it isn't wouldn't be an enormous help any way. It isnt a 'University experience' where you live at Uni for a week, meet new people etc.

You could do the same learning by watching online lectures (https://www.gresham.ac.uk/watch/), doing intensive reading and focussing your head on studying at a deeper level for a week at home. Its this sort of 'beyond A level thinking' that Universities want to see - going on a Summer School is not in itself going to get you instant offers. If you are eligible for Widening Participation Contextual offers, you'll get this from individual Unis whether you go to a Summer School or not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.87%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (124)
61.08%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (28)
13.79%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.29%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.97%

Watched Threads