Is it safe for a female to be out at 4 in the morning right now?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have an early shift and I am wondering if I really need to get a lift or if walking is safe.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
depends on how fast you can )
Debs25
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I wouldn't risk walking on my own at that time in the morning!
sy!¡
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
personally, i wouldn’t but that’s because the streets around me don’t have many street lights and i live in a very quiet area with many alleyways.
something_orphic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would suggest getting a lift, personally. Depends how you feel though but I think if you are concerned, then get a lift. Its a lot better not to have to worry though.
dd_razz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have an early shift and I am wondering if I really need to get a lift or if walking is safe.
Nope, if you're a slow walker and you feel like you wouldn't be able to outrun a creep, get a lift
2003a39
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No, because there'll be people like me sleeping.

I wouldn't recommend it, you should get a taxi or drive on your own.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
depends on how fast you can )
how fast you can run*
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
would it make a difference if I jogged to my workplace in terms of how safe it is ?
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Depends on the neighbourhood, really.

Generally if you're in an area that isn't just old people, there's always a sketchy dude coasting around who'll happily have a go at you (gender-irrelevant... I've been followed before as a skinny guy with long hair...)

If you're fast though you'll be fine. That **** didn't have the **** to follow me (that) far into the woods.
something_orphic
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I forgot to mention, it depends where you live and the path you have to walk. I live in Cornwall which is somewhere I consider relatively safe. However, I have spent a fair amount of time in Newcastle, and I have always been more cautious there especially if I am going somewhere that has less people around.

I think it is your judgement to make to be honest. If you feel safe walking then go for it.
Cıllıan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Depends where ur from. I'm from a calm area so if you're out past 12 everyone is usually just chilling and doesn't care to bother others and by 4 no one is out. Also it depends how far it is and what paths you have to take... if its some alleyways etc best to take a different route or get a lift. I can handle myself like a man so I risk it
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No way. Get a lift.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
I wouldn’t tbh. I will if the area has people walking about and is busy.
Kabzzzy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As someone who has done night shifts in London in the past, I'd say 4am is absolutely fine. You'll barely see anyone on the streets, and if you do it will likely be others who have to start ridiculously early shifts. If you live in a dodgy area, then you may want to consider alternatives, but I'm sure most degenerates are asleep by then.
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I probably wouldnt in most cases.
Though it depends on your area, your route, how far of a walk, your past experiences, whether there are other people on the streets at 4am, etc.
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If I was a woman I would not tbh.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Assuming that you are able bodied & healthy, walking through reasonably safe areas with street lighting, keep your wits about you and are able to outrun the average lone thug/nasty drunk and criminal creep- you should be okay.
If you are nervous, take some martial arts classes and organise rides to work from friends/coworkers or alternative transport until you feel more confident.

I've been going out alone late at night & during the dark early hours in London since I was a teenager.
I've have never had any trouble or felt unsafe.
I'm 5'1, always wear high heels, do krav maga and am often accompanying large canines with anger management issues out for exercise.
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Personally I don’t really care about my life so if I feel like leaving my house at 3am then I will but it’s probably not safe
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by something_orphic)
I forgot to mention, it depends where you live and the path you have to walk. I live in Cornwall which is somewhere I consider relatively safe. However, I have spent a fair amount of time in Newcastle, and I have always been more cautious there especially if I am going somewhere that has less people around.

I think it is your judgement to make to be honest. If you feel safe walking then go for it.
Is Cornwall really all that? Or is it dark and gloomy just like the rest of England?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (85)
36.02%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (38)
16.1%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (10)
4.24%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (24)
10.17%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (29)
12.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (28)
11.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
9.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed