The Student Room Group

Do newer uni accommodation usually have ethernet ports in rooms.

I have a pc so this would be preferable, is this standard practise or no? Was looking at unite students accom
my uni hall had
I think old bulding might still have it
not sure about all unite halls though
Reply 2
I think uni-owned halls often do (in fact, I saw one the other day that only had ethernet and no wifi!), but I'm not so sure about Unite. The webpage for the specific accommodation should tell you though, although it looks from a quick browse like a lot of them are wifi only.
Reply 3
Original post by Interea
I think uni-owned halls often do (in fact, I saw one the other day that only had ethernet and no wifi!), but I'm not so sure about Unite. The webpage for the specific accommodation should tell you though, although it looks from a quick browse like a lot of them are wifi only.

Yeah I thought that but some I have looked at in Portsmouth don't mention ethernet ports but I know they have the , Im not too bothered I guess , I can deal with using a wi fi card with subpar internet for a year lol
Buy a wireless card, ASUS do good ones for ~£70 and I have 2 (have lasted me 3 years now.)

All the ones I saw in Edi didn't have any (visited a few dif accoms. The ones that did have them didn't actually have them wired up, despite them being there.)
Yes at my uni all the newer halls (post-2000 build) have ethernet ports. In fact they generally design it with trunking around the desk with ethernet, TV aerial socket and a load of plugs which is useful. Think older blocks may not have ethernet unless the uni has had it installed.
Original post by dat boi0012
I have a pc so this would be preferable, is this standard practise or no? Was looking at unite students accom

Hi! @dat boi0012

most university halls rooms have ethernet cables. I lived in unite halls in my first year and every room I knew had a couple of ports. If you're not sure though I would contact them to ask.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending