Plastic pollution speech (for English lesson)

Watch
3250daisy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I would be really grateful for feedback on this. It is not too long (about 300 words) but please don’t feel you have to help! Thank you 🙏

Humans are destroying the oceans we rely on.

Micro plastics in our oceans are everywhere. By dumping around 8 million pieces of plastic in the sea everyday, we are risking not only the lives of marine animals, but we are putting the lives of all animals, plants, and humans at risk.

Many people think that single use plastic being bought and then thrown out is the main issue regarding plastic in our oceans. One of the most common ideas I have heard is that plastic straws are having devastating effects on marine life. What is less heard of is the fact that plastic straws account for 0.03% of plastic in the sea. Putting an end to the reckless consumption of products with plastic bottles, cups, straws, and other items will always be a criticisable part of protecting our planet, however, is rejecting plastic straws from everyday life really the answer to saving our planet? And, what is causing all the plastic to build up, polluting the sea?

The answer to this is quite unexpected for most people. The fishing industry. You may not know it, but by eating fish, you are supporting the people leaving fishing nets, plastic ropes, and other plastic fishing gear, which accounts for more than half of the plastic, in the oceans. If you keep contributing to this cause, it is estimated that we will have empty oceans by the year 2050.

So, why are our oceans so important? The ocean absorbs 50% of the CO2 in our atmosphere. Without functioning oceans, the carbon dioxide produced from fossil fuels and deforestation will become unmanageable. As I have said, the oceans have an impact on all life, including humans, all over the world. The oceans are also vital in regulating earth’s climate. If they stop removing CO2 from the atmosphere, this will lead to an increase in global warming, causing the ice caps to melt and sea levels to rise.

It is because of this that I believe protecting our oceans is the first step towards stopping climate change, and ensuring a future for our world.
bkjknkjkbj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi just had a quick look and thought I would be a good person to share feedback since I got a distinction in my GCSE English Speaking Endorsement. SO I'm loving the use of facts and statistics but maybe hold back from bombarding the audience with so many. Instead of the one at the start my teacher always advise us to "segway" into our speech by using an analogy. This would make the hook much more interesting and grab the audience's attention. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me questions if you don't understand
3250daisy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bkjknkjkbj)
Hi just had a quick look and thought I would be a good person to share feedback since I got a distinction in my GCSE English Speaking Endorsement. SO I'm loving the use of facts and statistics but maybe hold back from bombarding the audience with so many. Instead of the one at the start my teacher always advise us to "segway" into our speech by using an analogy. This would make the hook much more interesting and grab the audience's attention. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me questions if you don't understand
Ok Thank you And well done on the distinction!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (20)
9.3%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (130)
60.47%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.95%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (30)
13.95%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.33%

Watched Threads