The Student Room Group

A levels are these good options

Are these A levels good to pick?I'm planning to pick English lit, Politics and maybe law or geographyI would like to do a degree in English.
Original post by lazyfairy
Are these A levels good to pick?I'm planning to pick English lit, Politics and maybe law or geographyI would like to do a degree in English.

I like studying english lit, my friends do geography and like it but im telling you now UNLESS you have a good law teacher or acc want to have a career with law, dont pick it. My experience with a level law was so bad these 2 yrs and not even bc of the pandemic, the content is heavy, my teacher is **** and it is one of the hardest a levels but it is your choice, this is my opinion about it. Good luck !
English Literature, Politics and Geography sounds good. Have you thought about doing Drama A Level? That links quite well with English.
Original post by lazyfairy

Hey :smile:

They look like good subject choices to me! For an English degree you are typically required to have A-level English Literature and a humanities- so geography/history etc although I don't think this is always the case :smile:

The UCAS website states some general entry requirements for an English degree: https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/english

Hope this helps! let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Sian- UoP Rep
do history instead of geography way suitable for an english degree.
For top Unis the only essential subject is English Lit, and it will not matter what the other two subjects are.
So choose two other subjects that you really enjoy and where you feel confident of good grades.
As one example, Bristol - for BA English they specify 'English Literature or combined English Literature and Language' or for BA Comparative Literature and Cultures you only need 'an Arts subject'.

Or for lower grade Unis, some don't even specify English.
Manchester Met - BA English and American Literature - no specified subjects at all.
Plymouth - BA English and Creative Writing - only specified subject is 'English Language, Literature or Creative Writing, or a related subject (History, Philosophy, Film Studies, Sociology)'

Quick Reply

Latest