A level Psychology - behavioural approach to treating phobias

Watch
zarahh09
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
How do I create a systematic desensitisation hierarchy for amaxophobia?

Amaxophobia - Fear of riding in a car
Last edited by zarahh09; 9 months ago
mc04
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
hi, if its a 6 marker id write something along the lines of this.

the patient must first conduct a hierarchy of fear where they list the situations involving riding cars from least extreme to most extreme. In this scenario, the patient may start with seeing pictures of a car, to standing next to a car, to sitting in the drivers seat and then finally riding the car. The patient would then be gradually exposed to each situation, and once they are able to remain in a state of relaxation in the presence of the phobic situation, they are then able to progress to the next stage. this is due to the concept of reciprocal inhibition, which states you are unable to be in a state of relaxation and fear at the same time. once the patient is able to remain in a state of relaxation in their highest feared situation, in this case riding a car. the fear has been eliminated, and the phobia is gone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.8%
Note taking apps (7)
1.87%
Flashcards (86)
22.93%
Revision guides (19)
5.07%
Past papers (171)
45.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (14)
3.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed