arecibo_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all,

I applied to several universities trough UCAS last year but didn't apply to defer my study in any of these applications.

I'm currently talking to the universities that have made me offers about the possibility of applying now for a deferral of study to 2022.

I was just wondering - does anyone have any advice about the reasons I should give for requiring a deferral? Truthfully, my need for deferral is a purely financial one: I need to work and save some money before I can afford to study, but will this be a reason that an admissions/deferral officer will seriously consider? Should I give any other reasons that might give me a better chance of being approved?

Also, if possible, could anyone recommend any admissions tutoring/support/consultancy (idk) companies that I might be able to talk to for external assistance through this process?

Thanks
Henry_K
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by arecibo_)
Hi all,

I applied to several universities trough UCAS last year but didn't apply to defer my study in any of these applications.

I'm currently talking to the universities that have made me offers about the possibility of applying now for a deferral of study to 2022.

I was just wondering - does anyone have any advice about the reasons I should give for requiring a deferral? Truthfully, my need for deferral is a purely financial one: I need to work and save some money before I can afford to study, but will this be a reason that an admissions/deferral officer will seriously consider? Should I give any other reasons that might give me a better chance of being approved?

Also, if possible, could anyone recommend any admissions tutoring/support/consultancy (idk) companies that I might be able to talk to for external assistance through this process?

Thanks
If you did not meet the deadline, there is no way they will consider your deferral request. They will just tell you to re-apply next year.
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unis should understand a financial need to defer - they understand that circumstances change, and they'd probably rather get your money a year later than not at all! Just send them all an inquiry email and see where they stand, since some unis/courses will defer you no problem and some will ask more questions/not allow it. The only way you can find out is to ask, but I can guarantee that needing to work for a year first to be able to afford uni is a valid reason to defer
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Unis will now only be considering applications for this year - the whole point of Extra and Clearing is to fill gaps for this year, not to give people an early opportunity to apply for 2022.

If you want to apply for 2022 entry, then apply in the Autumn.
arecibo_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Interea)
Unis should understand a financial need to defer - they understand that circumstances change, and they'd probably rather get your money a year later than not at all! Just send them all an inquiry email and see where they stand, since some unis/courses will defer you no problem and some will ask more questions/not allow it. The only way you can find out is to ask, but I can guarantee that needing to work for a year first to be able to afford uni is a valid reason to defer
Thank you!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by arecibo_)
Hi all,

Thanks
You’re overthinking this.

Just explain that you need to take a gap year to save up money and ask for your offers to be changed to 2022 entry.

Universities get lots of requests like this and will normally agree with no problems.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (185)
75.82%
No (59)
24.18%

Watched Threads