Do all medical students have to complete F1+F2 training after they graduate?

Watch
summerKJI
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have heard that once you graduate, you cant leave the country to go work somewhere else, and if you do there are complications to work in the NHS if you return (i dont know what these complications are). I have family in Ireland, so it’s definitely something I am considering once I graduate. I also have an American visa so I plan to do the USLME while I am in med school to widen my options. I understand that Internationally educated graduates are seen as less competitive but I hope to study hard for the USLME. I have heard some people leave after F1? I am not really sure on what the rules are. This is all just what if scenarios as I want to consider different options but that does not mean I intend to leave the UK right after I graduate, its still very early and I do want to practice F1+F2, but I just want to be aware of all the other options. Thanks
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by summerKJI)
I have heard that once you graduate, you cant leave the country to go work somewhere else, and if you do there are complications to work in the NHS if you return (i dont know what these complications are). I have family in Ireland, so it’s definitely something I am considering once I graduate. I also have an American visa so I plan to do the USLME while I am in med school to widen my options. I understand that Internationally educated graduates are seen as less competitive but I hope to study hard for the USLME. I have heard some people leave after F1? I am not really sure on what the rules are. This is all just what if scenarios as I want to consider different options but that does not mean I intend to leave the UK right after I graduate, its still very early and I do want to practice F1+F2, but I just want to be aware of all the other options. Thanks
Not FY2, but if you don't complete FY1 within 3 years (and 30 days) of graduation you will never be allowed to obtain full GMC registration - that's why some doctors choose to do that to keep the option open.

https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-...l-registration

If you have completed FY2 too, if you ever decide to return to the UK you can apply straight to specialty training (depending on how many years out you have taken!) so that's why most doctors do a gap year (or several) after FY2.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
summerKJI
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Not FY2, but if you don't complete FY1 within 3 years (and 30 days) of graduation you will never be allowed to obtain full GMC registration - that's why some doctors choose to do that to keep the option open.

https://www.gmc-uk.org/registration-...l-registration

If you have completed FY2 too, if you ever decide to return to the UK you can apply straight to specialty training (depending on how many years out you have taken!) so that's why most doctors do a gap year (or several) after FY2.
Ah i see thank you so much! If I just complete F1 and then come back after training elsewhere, do I face any obstacles?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah i see thank you so much! If I just complete F1 and then come back after training elsewhere, do I face any obstacles?
Potentially, because you'd need to look for standalone FY2 posts and they are not common.
summerKJI
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Potentially, because you'd need to look for standalone FY2 posts and they are not common.
Oh okay, thank you for letting me know
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.scotlanddeanery.nhs.scot...raining-crest/

(From the Scotland Deanery but also applies to the rest of the UK).
summerKJI
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
https://www.scotlanddeanery.nhs.scot...raining-crest/

(From the Scotland Deanery but also applies to the rest of the UK).
Many thanks!
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Many countries e.g. most in Europe don't consider you a qualified doctor if you haven't done FY1. In their med schools they have an 'internship' year and they consider our FY1 year to be that.

As mentioned, no need to do FY2 but after FY2 is a natural pause so often people will wait for that, don't apply for specialty training and then spend a year or half a year abroad, then see how things go.
summerKJI
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Many countries e.g. most in Europe don't consider you a qualified doctor if you haven't done FY1. In their med schools they have an 'internship' year and they consider our FY1 year to be that.

As mentioned, no need to do FY2 but after FY2 is a natural pause so often people will wait for that, don't apply for specialty training and then spend a year or half a year abroad, then see how things go.
That sounds like a good plan
ahorey
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you want to go to Ireland you need to complete F1 in UK and can apply for specialty training during your F2 year, but you would be Leaving f2 early as Irish medical jobs start at start of July.

You could always do foundation in NI and still go south afterwards. You are bottom of the pile for the southern job preferences though, but not as low as international applications would be.

Irish medicine has “intern” year which is our F1 then they go directly (if wanted) into speciality training.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (87)
39.01%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (15)
6.73%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (53)
23.77%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
12.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.17%

Watched Threads