coping with medical conditions as a student

Watch this thread
motherbabs
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hope you all are doing well!
I've had a hard time at school recently due to a medical condition (the doctors are struggling to find an exact diagnosis!) and it's so irritating when people don't understand that I am so fatigued and the symptoms of my condition can be quite difficult to deal with personally: as a somewhat (previously ) elite athlete and a violinist, who currently has a reputation for having straight 9s, its been quite difficult for me as people just assume I'm being complacent, as yr11 is coming to an end. Any help? or anyone who can relate??????????
Last edited by motherbabs; 1 year ago
motherbabs
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
welp forgot to mention - im currently slacking on grades and if anyone has some ideas to stop bloody procrastinating that would help too!!
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by motherbabs)
welp forgot to mention - im currently slacking on grades and if anyone has some ideas to stop bloody procrastinating that would help too!!
I’m confused

Do u already have ur grades ‘straight 9s’?
Bc if u do, then u can take a break lol
And if u don’t, then if ur flaunting this whole thing abt straight 9s around then that’s the thing that’s giving the impression of complacency

(coming from someone who acc did get straight 9s (2019) and doesn’t tell anybody in person bc I’m shy and don’t want people to judge me)
motherbabs
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m confused

Do u already have ur grades ‘straight 9s’?
Bc if u do, then u can take a break lol
And if u don’t, then if ur flaunting this whole thing abt straight 9s around then that’s the thing that’s giving the impression of complacency

(coming from someone who acc did get straight 9s (2019) and doesn’t tell anybody in person bc I’m shy and don’t want people to judge me)
welp no you see, i dont do great in social interaction. i couldnt brag if i had to. ive been getting 5s and 6s in my tests for a good four months recently because of my condition and i have a few tests left so i was just wondering if anyone with medical conditions could give me advice. I really want to get back into my school for sixth form and at this rate im a bit worried that i am not going to, due to a situation that is quite out of my hands. (these bloody mini assessments due to covid and my fricken medical conditions)
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Focus more on getting your health up to a better place with small things (e.g. working on your sleep, eating enough, drinking enough water, etc.). I assume you've had blood tests and are supplementing things if directed to by your doctor.

Other than that, motivation to do things even when ill is more to do with self-discipline, you need to basically force yourself to get back into habits of working, but also recognise when you need breaks. This is coming from someone with severe health issues, which includes fatigue and various other symptoms.

Another thing I'd suggest is speak to your teachers and keep them up to date on how you're doing. No point suffering in silence.
motherbabs
Rep:
wow thanks so much! yep i definitely realised that getting myself to do my work and not become complacent was entirely dependant on improving my self-discipline. and yes, ive had lots of guidance from doctors which helps wmee (just about) cope with my symptoms on a day-to-day basis. again, thanks so much!

i hope you are doing well too and that you're okay with where you are and your health!

(Original post by Pathway)
Focus more on getting your health up to a better place with small things (e.g. working on your sleep, eating enough, drinking enough water, etc.). I assume you've had blood tests and are supplementing things if directed to by your doctor.

Other than that, motivation to do things even when ill is more to do with self-discipline, you need to basically force yourself to get back into habits of working, but also recognise when you need breaks. This is coming from someone with severe health issues, which includes fatigue and various other symptoms.

Another thing I'd suggest is speak to your teachers and keep them up to date on how you're doing. No point suffering in silence
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
On the grades front, might help to explain to your teachers the issue so they can take it in mind when marking your work, depending on whatever this condition is.
One does sympathise though. I had PTSD and something else during the degree which had a rather unfortunate effect and severe RLS these days. Having to explain that to the boss as the reason im constantly walking around and not working was fun :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads