Law teacher setting us 8 A-level law exams. AQA

Watch
Fluffysweetfries
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
My teacher has decided that she has set us 8 A-level exams for 2 topics. Is she even allowed to do this? I am explaining very late as exams are due soon but in the real A-level exams we only get 3. How is this fair?
Oceanwater
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fluffysweetfries)
My teacher has decided that she has set us 8 A-level exams for 2 topics. Is she even allowed to do this? I am explaining very late as exams are due soon but in the real A-level exams we only get 3. How is this fair?
2 topics? Um... I think teachers are just taking their own approch to assesments but I dunno about this tho...
Good luck in your exams, you can do this!
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
8 x 3 hours exams? Not very likely.
Fluffysweetfries
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oceanwater)
2 topics? Um... I think teachers are just taking their own approch to assesments but I dunno about this tho...
Good luck in your exams, you can do this!
it's okay you can agree with me. Thank you too, it feels overwhelming thinking about it
Fluffysweetfries
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
8 x 3 hours exams? Not very likely.
I wouldn't lie and it's 2hours.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you dont like it, why are you not talking to your Head Teacher?
Fluffysweetfries
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
If you dont like it, why are you not talking to your Head Teacher?
My head teacher and head of year group approves strangely, I just wanted TSR's opinion on this because it does seem a lot for me and my class, when originally we only get 3 papers. We have asked, yet topics that weren't taught to us properly are still coming up.
chris2791
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
On 2 topics? Do you mean Criminal Law & Tort law. I think you have gotten confused. She has set 2 tests which consist 8 topics in both crime and 8 topics in Tort. I teach law so that’s what i believe the teacher had done. It’s impossible to set 8 questions on 1 topic like ABH (which is one topic). What I believe the teacher will do is set the Criminal paper and in that criminal paper there will be 8 topics so murder, GBH Defences, and various substantive topics in the criminal law paper. Feel free to ask me anything you need clearing
Fluffysweetfries
Rep:
?
(Original post by chris2791)
On 2 topics? Do you mean Criminal Law & Tort law. I think you have gotten confused. She has set 2 tests which consist 8 topics in both crime and 8 topics in Tort. I teach law so that’s what i believe the teacher had done. It’s impossible to set 8 questions on 1 topic like ABH (which is one topic). What I believe the teacher will do is set the Criminal paper and in that criminal paper there will be 8 topics so murder, GBH Defences, and various substantive topics in the criminal law paper. Feel free to ask me anything you need clearing
Nope she explicitly told us that we're sitting 8 papers, 4 for Crim 4 for tort. We haven't a clue how this is being done and we have asked for it to be separate but she did confirm before half-term holiday that it is 8 papers. Which is why I put this up and yes on criminal and tort. Thank you for giving me your view as a law teacher however
chris2791
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nope she explicitly told us that we're sitting 8 papers, 4 for Crim 4 for tort. We haven't a clue how this is being done and we have asked for it to be separate but she did confirm before half-term holiday that it is 8 papers. Which is why I put this up and yes on criminal and tort. Thank you for giving me your view as a law teacher however
Ok so the first paper on crime will include AS content will be spread across 4 papers so ASSUALT/BATTERY /ABH /GBH 20/18 which will consist of English legal system topics I guess. And the paper 3,4 content will consist of A2 topics MURDER/ DIMINSHED RESPONSIBILITY/ LOC or MANSLAUGHTER and the defences e.g intoxication
In fact this is a very clever way of assessing how good you are at problem solving, how much you know the law, and how much you know cases and the structure of each question. So, that the grade you get in the papers is a clear indication of how well you know the content across the 2 years rather than just fluking 1 paper for crime hoping that topics you haven’t covered won’t come up. In fact, I may implement something similar to my students
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (85)
36.02%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (38)
16.1%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (10)
4.24%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (24)
10.17%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (29)
12.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (28)
11.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
9.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed