Best non-law degrees for someone interested in becoming a solicitor?

Watch
sophieisdecent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I want to become a solicitor, and I have a particular interest in criminal law. However, I'm not entirely sold on doing an undergraduate law degree at uni because I've heard some off-putting stuff about it (the workload can be heavy, the environment can be toxic because of the law students who are c*nts etc.) so I'm considering other degrees I could do instead. I'd much prefer to just do the conversion course.

For context, I'm going to be starting year 12 next year, and I'll be doing English lit, history and biology. I get 7s, 8s and 9s in them (8s and 9s in English, and 7s and 8s in history and biology). Of the three of them, I'm more interested in English and history, because I had to take biology in place of a course that got cancelled. However, I'm going to be aiming for at least As and Bs.

Anyway, any ideas for degrees to consider? I don't have any specific university in mind, though I'd prefer it if the uni wasn't somewhere too rural. If you think that I should do law, please let me know about that too.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sophieisdecent)
I want to become a solicitor, and I have a particular interest in criminal law. However, I'm not entirely sold on doing an undergraduate law degree at uni because I've heard some off-putting stuff about it (the workload can be heavy, the environment can be toxic because of the law students who are c*nts etc.) so I'm considering other degrees I could do instead. I'd much prefer to just do the conversion course.

For context, I'm going to be starting year 12 next year, and I'll be doing English lit, history and biology. I get 7s, 8s and 9s in them (8s and 9s in English, and 7s and 8s in history and biology). Of the three of them, I'm more interested in English and history, because I had to take biology in place of a course that got cancelled. However, I'm going to be aiming for at least As and Bs.

Anyway, any ideas for degrees to consider? I don't have any specific university in mind, though I'd prefer it if the uni wasn't somewhere too rural. If you think that I should do law, please let me know about that too.
I think if you're not completely sure about Law, you should do whichever subject you are getting the best grades in at A level. English or History would be fine, no need to decide now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
64.94%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads