pink3332021
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Can my son change from BTEC music to GCSE music (AQA or OCR)? His school just offers BTEC music. Now is already summer term in year 10. He already got ABRSM grade 5 theory & grade 8 violin certificates. He is interested in classical, academic music.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The chances are he will have to complete BTEC Music. You'd need to talk to the school to see if they would assist him in also taking GCSE Music. It's hard to take without the school's assistance because of the large % of the assessment which is non examination assessment (NEA), i.e. the composition and performance, but https://www.artcoursework.com/class-...online-course/ might be worth a look.

Why do you want him to take GCSE Music and why specifically AQA or OCR?
pink3332021
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
The chances are he will have to complete BTEC Music. You'd need to talk to the school to see if they would assist him in also taking GCSE Music. It's hard to take without the school's assistance because of the large % of the assessment which is non examination assessment (NEA), i.e. the composition and performance, but https://www.artcoursework.com/class-...online-course/ might be worth a look.

Why do you want him to take GCSE Music and why specifically AQA or OCR?
He thinks he can get higher marks in doing GCSE music as he has attained ABRSM grade 8 violin. Also, he isn't interested in BTEC music syllabus. He likes classical music more. It doesn't matter AQA or OCR as long as it's GCSE music.
pink3332021
Rep:
?
He isn't interested in BTEC music syllabus but is interested in classical music. Also, he has attained ABRSM grade 8 violin, so he may get higher marks doing GCSE music. It doesn't matter AQA or OCR as long as it's GCSE music.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by pink3332021)
He thinks he can get higher marks in doing GCSE music as he has attained ABRSM grade 8 violin. Also, he isn't interested in BTEC music syllabus. He likes classical music more. It doesn't matter AQA or OCR as long as it's GCSE music.
I have no idea what's involved with BTEC Music but my advice in Post 2 stands. There are other possible GCSE Music boards - Pearson Edexcel and Eduqas - which sound as though they'd be equally possible. However, I'd question the point of taking what's probably going to have to be an extra qualification when it sounds as though he could put the effort in to get a D* in what he's doing and he already has the evidence of his prowess in violin performance.
pink3332021
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
I have no idea what's involved with BTEC Music but my advice in Post 2 stands. There are other possible GCSE Music boards - Pearson Edexcel and Eduqas - which sound as though they'd be equally possible. However, I'd question the point of taking what's probably going to have to be an extra qualification when it sounds as though he could put the effort in to get a D* in what he's doing and he already has the evidence of his prowess in violin performance.
My son aims at getting a 9 in GCSE music if he's allowed to change exam board. He thinks he could accomplish that given his background in classical music. GCSE music is one of the subjects that he might get in the range of 7~9. It's important as he wants to study at a good sixth form grammar school. But he isn't interested in BTEC music at all, as it talks about the music industry.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by pink3332021)
My son aims at getting a 9 in GCSE music if he's allowed to change exam board. He thinks he could accomplish that given his background in classical music. GCSE music is one of the subjects that he might get in the range of 7~9. It's important as he wants to study at a good sixth form grammar school. But he isn't interested in BTEC music at all, as it talks about the music industry.
If he's just chasing enough high GCSE grades then there might be some sense in that. I work at a grammar school and we pretty much ignore BTECs as prior qualifications. As I said, talk to his school and if they can't accommodate one person in the class doing a completely different qualification (which is likely) then the link I posted might be worth pursuing.

Just to clarify, it wouldn't be a change of exam board, but a change of qualification from BTEC to GCSE (you can do both BTEC or GCSE with Edexcel).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (160)
44.57%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.14%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (29)
8.08%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (75)
20.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.47%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (21)
5.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed