Yazomi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
What happens to tuition and maintenance loan after dropping out of uni? I’ve heard you have to repay it back- do you repay it back like during the end of your course- a percentage if your income?

Also if I want to apply to another course after dropping out would I still be eligible for tuition and maintenance loan like the same amount as my first time applying?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Yazomi)
What happens to tuition and maintenance loan after dropping out of uni? I’ve heard you have to repay it back- do you repay it back like during the end of your course- a percentage if your income?

Also if I want to apply to another course after dropping out would I still be eligible for tuition and maintenance loan like the same amount as my first time applying?
Hi Yazomi, if you suspend or withdraw from your studies then you may be overpaid. Any overpayment will be recovered from future funding. Please read this leaflet for more information http://ow.ly/d/8pcX

All eligible students can receive funding for the length of their course plus one additional year. If this is your first year studying then this will be your additional year which means you can still apply for full funding for a new course.
Thanks, Isaac
Yazomi
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi Yazomi, if you suspend or withdraw from your studies then you may be overpaid. Any overpayment will be recovered from future funding. Please read this leaflet for more information http://ow.ly/d/8pcX

All eligible students can receive funding for the length of their course plus one additional year. If this is your first year studying then this will be your additional year which means you can still apply for full funding for a new course.
Thanks, Isaac
I see thank you. For instance if I chose another course and drop out again-
I only get funding for 2 years of my next course
What happens in the remaining last year? Do I have to pay the tuition fee instantly? If I can’t does that mean I have to drop out again or are there other loans I can take?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I see thank you. For instance if I chose another course and drop out again-
I only get funding for 2 years of my next course
What happens in the remaining last year? Do I have to pay the tuition fee instantly? If I can’t does that mean I have to drop out again or are there other loans I can take?
If you drop out again and you start another new course then you will have 2 years of previous study. That means you would be required to self fund the first year of that new course and we would fund the last 2 years unless you have Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm
Thanks, Isaac
Yazomi
Rep:
?
If you drop out again and you start another new course then you will have 2 years of previous study. That means you would be required to self fund the first year of that new course and we would fund the last 2 years unless you have Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm
Thanks, Isaac
Thank you for your time!

One last question if you don’t mind-

Would I still be eligible for funding for the length of my course plus one year if I haven’t started uni. Took an apprenticeship (1-4years) and finished it and then applying to uni then?
Would I still be eligible for maintenance loan after the apprenticeship as well
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you for your time!

One last question if you don’t mind-

Would I still be eligible for funding for the length of my course plus one year if I haven’t started uni. Took an apprenticeship (1-4years) and finished it and then applying to uni then?
Would I still be eligible for maintenance loan after the apprenticeship as well
From your chat history, you have dropped out so you already have 1 year of previous study, is that right?

An apprenticeship is not higher education and does not affect your eligibility for higher education funding.
Thanks, Isaac
Yazomi
Rep:
?
From your chat history, you have dropped out so you already have 1 year of previous study, is that right?

An apprenticeship is not higher education and does not affect your eligibility for higher education funding.
Thanks, Isaac
Ahhh I see so there isn’t a time limit where you cannot get student loan - like after a certain age if you’ve never been to uni before- you’ll still get the full 4 years covered.

And the apprenticeship as in before starting uni so haven’t dropped out or used student loan.

That makes sense so far though thanks
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Ahhh I see so there isn’t a time limit where you cannot get student loan - like after a certain age if you’ve never been to uni before- you’ll still get the full 4 years covered.

And the apprenticeship as in before starting uni so haven’t dropped out or used student loan.

That makes sense so far though thanks
For a time limit, students over the age of 60 can not receive a Maintenance Loan. So if you left it until you were over 60 years old then your entitlement could be affected but yes the full 4 years would still be covered even if you waited til you were over 60.

Thanks, Isaac
Yazomi
Rep:
?
For a time limit, students over the age of 60 can not receive a Maintenance Loan. So if you left it until you were over 60 years old then your entitlement could be affected but yes the full 4 years would still be covered even if you waited til you were over 60.

Thanks, Isaac
Will I be eligible for maintenance loan for every year I am studying at uni or it’s like tuition where it’s a max of 4 years?
If the student and parents are both working, whose income is used to determine the amount of maintenance loan?
Maintenance loan, I believe is normally determined from parents income,- but what criteria does it have to meet to use the students income instead?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Will I be eligible for maintenance loan for every year I am studying at uni or it’s like tuition where it’s a max of 4 years?
If the student and parents are both working, whose income is used to determine the amount of maintenance loan?
Maintenance loan, I believe is normally determined from parents income,- but what criteria does it have to meet to use the students income instead?
Tuition fee isn't a max of 4 years, that's a myth.

Full time undergraduate applicants can receive funding for the length of their course plus one additional year.
Part time undergraduate applicants can receive funding for up to 16 years.

We don't need to know about the students earned income unless the students employer releases the student to study (pays the student a salary to go to university).
To receive the higher rate of funding you will be required to provide your parents financial details or meet the independent student criteria http://ow.ly/q5mJ30oSfa5

To receive the higher rate of funding you will be required to provide your parents financial details or meet the independent student criteria. If you are independent then you will receive the maximum amount of funding http://ow.ly/q5mJ30oSfa5 - we do not require the student to declare any earned income unless they are released by their employer to study.

Thanks, Isaac
Yazomi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Tuition fee isn't a max of 4 years, that's a myth.

Full time undergraduate applicants can receive funding for the length of their course plus one additional year.
Part time undergraduate applicants can receive funding for up to 16 years.

We don't need to know about the students earned income unless the students employer releases the student to study (pays the student a salary to go to university).
To receive the higher rate of funding you will be required to provide your parents financial details or meet the independent student criteria http://ow.ly/q5mJ30oSfa5

To receive the higher rate of funding you will be required to provide your parents financial details or meet the independent student criteria. If you are independent then you will receive the maximum amount of funding http://ow.ly/q5mJ30oSfa5 - we do not require the student to declare any earned income unless they are released by their employer to study.

Thanks, Isaac
Medicine course can be 5-6 years long undergrad so I’m assuming maintenance loan can cover that whole period too but not tuition?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Medicine course can be 5-6 years long undergrad so I’m assuming maintenance loan can cover that whole period too but not tuition?
Full time undergraduate students can receive funding for the duration of their course plus one additional year. This includes tuition fee and maintenance loan.

For undergraduate medicine, students receive an NHS bursary in their 5th/final year so don't require a Tuition Fee Loan and will only be entitled to a reduced rate maintenance loan which is the very basic amount.

Thanks, Isaac
Yazomi
Rep:
?
Full time undergraduate students can receive funding for the duration of their course plus one additional year. This includes tuition fee and maintenance loan.

For undergraduate medicine, students receive an NHS bursary in their 5th/final year so don't require a Tuition Fee Loan and will only be entitled to a reduced rate maintenance loan which is the very basic amount.

Thanks, Isaac
Am I eligible for Maintenance loan if I decide to take on an apprenticeship?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Am I eligible for Maintenance loan if I decide to take on an apprenticeship?
No funding is available from us for apprenticeships.
Thanks, Isaac
Yazomi
Rep:
?
No funding is available from us for apprenticeships.
Thanks, Isaac
For instance if I drop out the in the first term of uni- does that mean one entire year of tuition loan gone or it’ll be more accurate- 1 term of tuition loan gone?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
For instance if I drop out the in the first term of uni- does that mean one entire year of tuition loan gone or it’ll be more accurate- 1 term of tuition loan gone?
That means you will have 1 year of previous study.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.98%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.74%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.98%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.87%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.82%

Watched Threads