Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
This might not be the right place to post, but I want to be anonymous.

So, recently, one of the members of staff at my university was arrested and imprisoned for paedophilia. It was a massive scandal but hasn't been reported widely, probably because the university want to cover it up.

A few weeks later, I was doing some online mentoring and chatting with potential students who would be joining the next year if they firmed my university. I thought they had a right to know about this, so I told them. 2 out of 3 of them have since decided to go elsewhere for their degrees. If it was me, I would have wanted to know, and I am glad I told them, but I also feel bad because I should be promoting my university in my ambassadorial context. Did I do the right thing?
Diamond1313
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This might not be the right place to post, but I want to be anonymous.

So, recently, one of the members of staff at my university was arrested and imprisoned for paedophilia. It was a massive scandal but hasn't been reported widely, probably because the university want to cover it up.

A few weeks later, I was doing some online mentoring and chatting with potential students who would be joining the next year if they firmed my university. I thought they had a right to know about this, so I told them. 2 out of 3 of them have since decided to go elsewhere for their degrees. If it was me, I would have wanted to know, and I am glad I told them, but I also feel bad because I should be promoting my university in my ambassadorial context. Did I do the right thing?
You definitely did. They would have found out anyway to be honest
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes I believe you "did the right thing", otherwise you could be seen as supporting and glamorising paedophilia.
Thedentalone
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you don’t mind me asking, if the university is trying to cover this up, will there be any consequences if you leak this kind of sensitive information? Which it looks as if you have.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Thedentalone)
If you don’t mind me asking, if the university is trying to cover this up, will there be any consequences if you leak this kind of sensitive information? Which it looks as if you have.
I don't really feel comfortable sharing the university. I don't think there would be consequences, as it's made local news, but it hasn't been picked up at a national level. Students within the department have been contacted, as well as any outside of the department who would have been in contact with the individual, but I don't think all students have been emailed - although it's certainly been prevalent on social media.

I didn't leak it in a context where I could be traced, as I was interacting with these students through follow ups outside of the university platform, but I do feel guilty in a way because I have been paid to promote the university before. However, I'd want to know if I was going to be studying in a department which (unknowingly) housed a criminal if I was in their position.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You shouldn't be aiding in covering it up, certainly. But if they've been arrested and locked up, I'm not sure the students needed to know unless you think it's more widespread than just the one person?

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if every university had some paedophile or murderer among their alumni, and being told that fact would put applicants off.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ThomH97)
You shouldn't be aiding in covering it up, certainly. But if they've been arrested and locked up, I'm not sure the students needed to know unless you think it's more widespread than just the one person?

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if every university had some paedophile or murderer among their alumni, and being told that fact would put applicants off.
As far as I am aware, they were acting alone. However, I think it's scary that they were able to continue to work at the university whilst the investigation was underway (and the university seemed to be unaware of these charges). I think students have a right to know that.
Thedentalone
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't really feel comfortable sharing the university. I don't think there would be consequences, as it's made local news, but it hasn't been picked up at a national level. Students within the department have been contacted, as well as any outside of the department who would have been in contact with the individual, but I don't think all students have been emailed - although it's certainly been prevalent on social media.

I didn't leak it in a context where I could be traced, as I was interacting with these students through follow ups outside of the university platform, but I do feel guilty in a way because I have been paid to promote the university before. However, I'd want to know if I was going to be studying in a department which (unknowingly) housed a criminal if I was in their position.
Then you did the right thing, and you definitely should not feel guilty. Instead well done, in a way you’re just safeguarding and making people aware, if anything they would probably find out eventually, if not from your local news. So don’t worry.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Thedentalone)
Then you did the right thing, and you definitely should not feel guilty. Instead well done, in a way you’re just safeguarding and making people aware, if anything they would probably find out eventually, if not from your local news. So don’t worry.
Thank you. That means a lot.
Thedentalone
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you. That means a lot.
No worries, it’s always better to do the right thing, even if others may not agree.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If he has been arrested, I don't think it's really relevant to their education in the university and I wouldn't have brought it up if it was me
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As far as I am aware, they were acting alone. However, I think it's scary that they were able to continue to work at the university whilst the investigation was underway (and the university seemed to be unaware of these charges). I think students have a right to know that.
If he is a uni lecturer, he was not in contact with children through work so why would he not be able to continue work whilst investigations were underway?
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by black tea)
If he has been arrested, I don't think it's really relevant to their education in the university and I wouldn't have brought it up if it was me
It depends on the situation. If OP's department handled it poorly then future students should know as that's a red flag if they have any issues in the future.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
If he is a uni lecturer, he was not in contact with children through work so why would he not be able to continue work whilst investigations were underway?
Would you want to be taught by someone under investigation for paedophilia?
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
It depends on the situation. If OP's department handled it poorly then future students should know as that's a red flag if they have any issues in the future.
The university was apparently not aware according to OP
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The university was apparently not aware according to OP
Hmm, still, if they handled student support badly after it became public knowledge, that's a red flag and I'd personally want to know.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Because 'under investigation' and 'convicted of' are two very different things.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The person has been arrested so not teaching any more.

As it happens, I was taught by someone who was being investigated for paedophilia. I was 15 at the time. I only found out when it was reported on in the papers. So I think the university has actually handled it well by emailing people taught by this individual.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
Hmm, still, if they handled student support badly after it became public knowledge, that's a red flag and I'd personally want to know.
OP hasn't insinuated that they handled it badly though, unless I have misunderstood things. If OP thinks they did handle it badly, then fair enough and that is worth telling potential students about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.53%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
65.79%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.47%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (6)
7.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.32%

Watched Threads