Georgia.McEvoyx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I’m looking at doing children’s nursing at the University of York and I was just wondering what types of working experience or volunteering would be useful before undertaking this course and how can I go about finding employers/places etc. I know that due to covid it may be quite hard to find any work experience, especially in a healthcare setting but I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas,tips or advice?

Thank you in advance!
University of York
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Georgia.McEvoyx
It's great that you're looking to join us soon!
In terms of things to put on your personal statement I would recommend doing one of our free online courses. We have one on Next steps to university: from choosing a course to your first assessment, Nursing: the application of bioscience, psychology and sociology and many others that you might like.
It can be difficult to find in-person work experience at the moment and we fully understand that in our admissions department.
I've had a quick search and it looks like you can register to do work experience with the NHS here, however I don't have personal experience of this. The NHS website does also have a page on work experience here that may be useful.
I hope this helps but if there's any other questions I can answer just let me know,
Bea
Graduate Ambassador
Georgia.McEvoyx
Rep:
?
Thank you!
Becky2305
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Georgia.McEvoyx)
Hi,

I’m looking at doing children’s nursing at the University of York and I was just wondering what types of working experience or volunteering would be useful before undertaking this course and how can I go about finding employers/places etc. I know that due to covid it may be quite hard to find any work experience, especially in a healthcare setting but I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas,tips or advice?

Thank you in advance!
Hey Georgia, I'm going to be studying nursing this year and I agree it was quite hard to find work experience because of covid.
For my experience, I listed that I volunteer as a COVID vaccination marshall at my local hospital - I found this just by going on my GP surgery website. I am also a COVID responder for the Royal Voluntary Service on the GoodSam app.
I also emailed my local hospital for work experience shadowing a nurse, but obviously they weren't taking people for work experience due to the pandemic. However, I was put on the waiting list for when they do and I wrote this in my personal statement.
I also completed the virtual work experience on Brighton and Sussex Medical Schools website. Although it's meant for medicine candidates, there was a lot of useful information applicable to nursing too and I included that I did this.

Another thing you could do is see if you can volunteer helping out in a primary school at an after school club or something similar, this would show you have an interest in working with children.
If you don't have a part-time job already, you could also look for one that involves working with children. Be it a nursery, soft play area etc... I even worked at Clarks shoe shop which involved me working as a children's shoe fitter! This developed my skills in being able to communicate with children.

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you have any questions
Last edited by Becky2305; 3 weeks ago
Georgia.McEvoyx
Rep:
?
Thank you so much! This is really useful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (126)
35.39%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (47)
13.2%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (22)
6.18%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (35)
9.83%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (46)
12.92%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (42)
11.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (38)
10.67%

Watched Threads