?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
how do deal with being independent?
V℮rsions
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What specifically? How to iron, how to do washing etc is all on YouTube, and skills you might want to learn before hand. Cooking - books. Money, read and watch videos on personal finance etc.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
You don't
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by maria__tresa)
Hey maria__tresa

Everyone starts university at different stages of their life and with different skills. So there's nothing to worry about
University has been a great learning experience for me, not only academically but personally too.

Before I started university, I didn't know how to do a washing, only knew a few dishes to cook and had no idea how to clean a bathroom! I made an effort to learn over the summer before I moved to uni in September. To learn how to cook, I looked up recipes online and kept them in a little notebook. Cooking is really about trail and error and I perfected a few recipes over the summer months. It's great to set a monthly budget for yourself and you can save so much by meal prepping for the week!

To learn how to put a washing on, I asked my mum for some advice and she helped me to separate colours and I learned how much detergent to use. We also cleaned the bathroom at home together and she recommended some products I could use. Keep a list of the products on your phone so you have them to hand when you're doing your shopping.

Just remember you're not alone and there's so much support available at uni!

If you have any questions then let me know

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Last edited by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador; 2 weeks ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello!

I think university is a great learning curve to gain independence and can be a real challenge, but I found organising and preparation really helped

What I did before starting uni was making sure I was prepared in terms of what I was going to pack. This helped me feel like I had everything I needed to live and could be independent.

I also made a collection of recipes that I liked the look of and did some cooking for my family in the upcoming weeks before university. Learning the basics beforehand is really helpful! I also learnt the basics for washing and bought detergent and softener before starting uni so that I was fully prepared!

Your university is there to support you throughout your journey and will be there to offer tips and guidance if you need it

Sam- Official Student Rep
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There's no better time to learn than at uni! Moving away from home and being away from family and friends really pushes you to learn about yourself and figure out who you are. Take it slow and set yourself small tasks every now and then such as taking a walk alone or going food shopping and eventually you'll learn to enjoy being in your own company.
dre§mliner
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi guys. I have finished a Masters Degree in Computer Science. Now I am planning to move and to start my second education. Would you be so kind to recommend me a couple of Universities I can choose from?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (129)
34.96%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (49)
13.28%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (22)
5.96%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (36)
9.76%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (49)
13.28%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (43)
11.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (41)
11.11%

Watched Threads