The Student Room Group

General Advice on Accommodation Behavior.

There are some things I'd like external opinions of so I can grasp whether things are ok. firstly, when my radiator (my only heating) stopped working in the middle of winter, I was told I would have to wait over the weekend for it to be fixed, is this ok? There is a good chance also it wasn't broken as they did not enter my room and I have heard of accommodations purposefully shutting off heating to save power.

Secondly when I moved in, my room was not cleaned at all. At all. In the middle of Covid they hadn't even cleaned the white board or hovered. They went in and wiped it after we complained but we had to do a thorough clean. (They admitted it wasn't cleaned).

I have no post key, and must use an uncleaned shared one from reception to access my PO box. I requested one but was not given one.

I was promised we'd be getting new mattresses but have yet to receive it.

Finally, while there may be more, I wanted to ask whether the terms of this email were 'ok' as I've been saying: Dear Resident, We will be carrying out maintenance checks between the Monday 19th - Friday 23rd of April. You are receiving this email because your room will be checked during this period. The checks will take place between 9am and 5pm and do not require you to be present.'

Surely I have the right to know when so I can be there. I don't like strangers entering my room effectively. I know they've given 24 hour notice (sent on 16th) but they sent it to the wrong email address and had to be referred to me and part of the point is so I can be there. Guidelines seem to reflect this as they are supposed to give a time, not just a week, though that may be to avoid giving staff unlimited access once informed once.

My room is clean and fine for the record, I'm just concerned about the general practice and idea that any time they consider reasonable they can come in. I read reasonable should apply to my own terms, yet since they only informed me through email I doubt they are considering this. Aside from paying full price for facilities we aren't being given, are they in the wrong with any of this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending