Is it wrong to start a project without a group member?

Watch
WCML20
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
My partner for a French group task hasn't been responsive. He's an exchange student from a French uni so my guess is (though I don't know for sure) that he may be doing French to fill time in the timetable and get credits which is fair enough I guess.

Only problem is that I didn't hear from him all of last week (we'd spoken on the Monday and during the week, I just gathered some ideas, it wasn't urgent to get it done then), he only messaged me on Friday night which was when I was unavailable due to family. I messaged back on Saturday and have since had 0 response, even though he has been active on Instagram. It's just a couple of essays so I'm thinking that the lack of response means that I should do all of the work for it. Is it wrong to just start without him? I'm not the type that would take 100% credit for the work but I can't wait much longer to hear back.
Last edited by WCML20; 3 weeks ago
Kim J
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by WCML20)
My partner for a French group task hasn't been responsive. He's an exchange student from a French uni so my guess is (though I don't know for sure) that he may be doing French to fill time in the timetable and get credits which is fair enough I guess.

Only problem is that I didn't hear from him all of last week (we'd spoken on the Monday and during the week, I just gathered some ideas, it wasn't urgent to get it done then), he only messaged me on Friday night which was when I was unavailable due to family. I messaged back on Saturday and have since had 0 response, even though he has been active on Instagram. It's just a couple of essays so I'm thinking that the lack of response means that I should do all of the work for it. Is it wrong to just start without him? I'm not the type that would take 100% credit for the work but I can't wait much longer to hear back.
Message once more and let him know you are starting without... so atleast he understands that he needs to be responsive. It may just be a communication problem, you never know
larahe06
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I would personally start on some of the project and then fill him in on what you completed thus far so that not only would he not be out of the loop but he would also be more aware of the project; he most likely forgot about it so letting him know is common courtesy.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Hi @WCML20,

I would start your project so you don't fall behind but keep him up to date with what's going on. It might be a good idea to keep note of the parts you have done and meetings you have proposed for evidence in case he doesn't end up contributing and you're worried it will affect your mark. If he doesn't respond soon you should also contact your tutor too.

Lucy
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Hey WCML20

I've been in a similar situation during university, so you're not alone 

I had to do a lot of group work during my undergraduate degree and unfortunately, things didn't always run smoothly as often not everyone would participate. On one occasion, I emailed my tutor for the module that I was doing the group work for. I explained the situation to them. At the end of the project, the tutor was keen to know how much each student had contributed to the presentation. I learned from my experiences and decided not to let these affect any future group work I would be involved in. I would recommend emailing your tutor to explain your situation. They will want to support you in any way that they can 

I would also suggest having a group meeting on zoom with your other group member immediately to discuss the situation. This way, you can assign what needs to be done before you submit the work next week. Then have a further meeting this weekend to see how you are both getting on with your individual work.

Hope this helps 

Melissa- Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
64.94%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.29%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads