• What motivates you to work hard?
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by HannahTy6)
The reason why I am doing the thing/task in the first place e.g. for A Levels, I'm working hard because I want to get into the course of my choice.

You could also work hard because you feel like you're in your element, and you're doing what you're passionate about. This is ideal, because you're doing it for the right reasons.
You could work hard because it's for the people you're thinking of e.g. I could be working hard in a charity because it's for the people the charity supports
You could work hard because you know the idea or concept you're working on is going to make a dramatic impact on the organisation/society e.g. making solar energy cheaper than fossil fuels. This is kind of like working hard for a cause.
You could work hard because you're inspired by other people. Going at it alone or not knowing other people have done what you want to do before can really dampen your motivation.

I prefer reward based incentives than punishment. The stick tends to breed bad morale and it can kill off my motivation in the long run. It can also create unnecessary stress and it doesn't propel your forward towards the goals you want e.g. being constantly threatened to lose your job if you don't double your sales brings on unnecessary stress, especially if there's no reward for you (e.g. commissions) for your work.
They also say that doing something for money alone isn't usually enough to keep you going. It's definitely true for me, since money is on a lower rung of the ladder than other reasons.
Usually significant change in status would be a better motivator, but a pat on the back isn't really going to do much.
The reward needs to mean something to you, and you should ideally have more than one reward or reason for doing something. The reward also needs to be big enough that it means something (e.g. if you're starving to death, a feast is a better motivator than being handed a pinch of crumbs). There's little point in giving your best, when at the end you're only being given a morsel of what you deserve.
I also find being in the right environment really helps - if the environment is toxic, no incentive is enough to overcome that toxicity dampening your motivation. It also helps that if you do the task that it would lead to a better future that you can continue building upon e.g. there's no point in working hard if you will end up getting fired at the end of the day.
The work also shouldn't be too taxing in the sense that it's achievable, but it doesn't stretch you too far. If it's too challenging, I might lose focus. If it's too easy, I might not make it a priority. If it's too long or involve too much work, people might not start. If it sets people into the state of flow, you will have the right calibration.
I would also like to work hard in a place where I could express my thoughts freely. Being restricted on what you can say can dampen the motivation. I prefer it if I could be equally creative and analytical, coming up with ideas where possible.
HannahTy6
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MindMax2000)
The reason why I am doing the thing/task in the first place e.g. for A Levels, I'm working hard because I want to get into the course of my choice.

You could also work hard because you feel like you're in your element, and you're doing what you're passionate about. This is ideal, because you're doing it for the right reasons.
You could work hard because it's for the people you're thinking of e.g. I could be working hard in a charity because it's for the people the charity supports
You could work hard because you know the idea or concept you're working on is going to make a dramatic impact on the organisation/society e.g. making solar energy cheaper than fossil fuels. This is kind of like working hard for a cause.
You could work hard because you're inspired by other people. Going at it alone or not knowing other people have done what you want to do before can really dampen your motivation.

I prefer reward based incentives than punishment. The stick tends to breed bad morale and it can kill off my motivation in the long run. It can also create unnecessary stress and it doesn't propel your forward towards the goals you want e.g. being constantly threatened to lose your job if you don't double your sales brings on unnecessary stress, especially if there's no reward for you (e.g. commissions) for your work.
They also say that doing something for money alone isn't usually enough to keep you going. It's definitely true for me, since money is on a lower rung of the ladder than other reasons.
Usually significant change in status would be a better motivator, but a pat on the back isn't really going to do much.
The reward needs to mean something to you, and you should ideally have more than one reward or reason for doing something. The reward also needs to be big enough that it means something (e.g. if you're starving to death, a feast is a better motivator than being handed a pinch of crumbs). There's little point in giving your best, when at the end you're only being given a morsel of what you deserve.
I also find being in the right environment really helps - if the environment is toxic, no incentive is enough to overcome that toxicity dampening your motivation. It also helps that if you do the task that it would lead to a better future that you can continue building upon e.g. there's no point in working hard if you will end up getting fired at the end of the day.
The work also shouldn't be too taxing in the sense that it's achievable, but it doesn't stretch you too far. If it's too challenging, I might lose focus. If it's too easy, I might not make it a priority. If it's too long or involve too much work, people might not start. If it sets people into the state of flow, you will have the right calibration.
I would also like to work hard in a place where I could express my thoughts freely. Being restricted on what you can say can dampen the motivation. I prefer it if I could be equally creative and analytical, coming up with ideas where possible.
That makes sense.
Zetsu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Spite. A few people have told me I couldn't do it solely to put me down, so I work hard to prove them wrong.

It works, oddly enough.
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Money and Chanel bags, holidays, treating my loved ones etc
DogeTheDoggo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Zetsu)
Spite. A few people have told me I couldn't do it solely to put me down, so I work hard to prove them wrong.

It works, oddly enough.
I’ve used that one before, quite draining but powerful
DogeTheDoggo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Being single minded and focused on the task
sumayaaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
nothing lol, i just go school bc it’s something that’s out of my choice and has to be done. I don’t think i work hard, i just work enough to meet the bare minimum. Also, i don’t like getting into trouble and getting teachers annoyed at me and I feel bad if i get bad marks bc most my teachers are good and I don’t want to reflect them badly (that being said, i still haven’t started revision sighh). I’m drained 24/7 just doing the bare minimum or under so imagine me working hard
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
At work?

The appreciation for my engagement. A raise? my salary is fixed! a promotion? is not possible in my job. So appreciation remains as motivation.
ScarletMillion
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Zetsu)

It works, oddly enough.
(Original post by Moonlight rain)
Money and Chanel bags, holidays, treating my loved ones etc
you both beat me to it, spite and money/ prizes are my greatest motivators
Synergy~
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Wait you guys are motivated?
ScarletMillion
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ScarletMillion)
you both beat me to it, spite and money/ prizes are my greatest motivators
and fear
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Synergy~)
Wait you guys are motivated?
I really am. Short working hours, a decent wage and long holidays. That is very motivating!
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
I really am. Short working hours, a decent wage and long holidays. That is very motivating!
what about when you were going school? I feel like I’d be motivated too if i worked in a job that paid well and that I liked
Siberiaan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Make sure my parents can retire in comfort , they worked too hard for me and my siblings.
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Fear, lol.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sumayaaa)
what about when you were going school? I feel like I’d be motivated too if i worked in a job that paid well and that I liked
Let me put it in this way: I did my own thing - and still do. I see no sense in school and it didn't really change. The only purpose school has is to get good grades to get a place to study, to get good grades in turn to get a good job. Eduation is secondary,unfortunately.
Ravensword_9
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
Fear, lol.
I motivate out of fear as well, I’m just scared of getting a bad grade (which I shouldn’t be) and then revise and study out of stress. Also thinking of my future goals
Love Bomber
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Being told I'm not worthy and out of my depth, motivates the hell outta me
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Siberiaan)
Make sure my parents can retire in comfort , they worked too hard for me and my siblings.
So you intend to pay their retirement. That is really a nice and unselfish gesture of your own, respect!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (70)
73.68%
No (25)
26.32%

Watched Threads