Sully_19
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I am currently studying Maths, Chemistry and Economics at A level and I am likely to achieve three A's or possibly A*, A, A respectively. I did not expect to do as well as I thought so I applied to weaker universities with lower grade requirements. I have changed my mind and want to go to a top uni with these new grades I am likely to get. This means I will have to take a gap year and reapply. Is it worth taking a year out for this reason?
ayana8
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Couldn't you apply to a high uni through ucas adjustment this year? That way you don't need to take a gap year
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Top Economics courses will not be in Extra, so you will have to either :
1) Wait until you get your results, and if they are good enough, quickly phone some top Unis to see it they would be interested in taking you via Adjustment - https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...etter-expected
2) Get your results and if they are good enough, drop this year's UCAS application and reapply in September to FIVE top Uni choices. You should get some speedy offers, and then you have a Gap Year knowing you have good Uni place to go to.
3) For Econ, yes its worth it. With a degree from an RG or other top Uni, your future career opportunities will be far greater than one from an 'average' Uni. And if you are that bright, you will just get bored at an average Uni.
Sully_19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Top Economics courses will not be in Extra, so you will have to either :
1) Wait until you get your results, and if they are good enough, quickly phone some top Unis to see it they would be interested in taking you via Adjustment - https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...etter-expected
2) Get your results and if they are good enough, drop this year's UCAS application and reapply in September to FIVE top Uni choices. You should get some speedy offers, and then you have a Gap Year knowing you have good Uni place to go to.
3) For Econ, yes its worth it. With a degree from an RG or other top Uni, your future career opportunities will be far greater than one from an 'average' Uni. And if you are that bright, you will just get bored at an average Uni.
Thanks for the reply. Is economics really that highly regarded as a subject, because generally all I hear is that its better to do just straight maths or computer science rather than economics. Any thoughts?
BenRyan99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sully_19)
Thanks for the reply. Is economics really that highly regarded as a subject, because generally all I hear is that its better to do just straight maths or computer science rather than economics. Any thoughts?
It's got the second highest average graduate salary of any degree in the UK after medicine. Due to this, it's a very popular course, a few years ago when I was applying to UCAS, economics was the most applied for degree subject. But when you look at the salary distribution, once you start looking at the top5 unis the curve goes exponentially high for graduate salary (e.g. with some economics degrees the average starting salary is about 36-40k with the highest earning about 90k in their first year in IB if you include their bonus).

However, if you think you could manage maths or CS I'd probably recommend that over Econ even tho I study Econ. The degrees are just much more scalable and useful in the job market.
Sully_19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BenRyan99)
It's got the second highest average graduate salary of any degree in the UK after medicine. Due to this, it's a very popular course, a few years ago when I was applying to UCAS, economics was the most applied for degree subject. But when you look at the salary distribution, once you start looking at the top5 unis the curve goes exponentially high for graduate salary (e.g. with some economics degrees the average starting salary is about 36-40k with the highest earning about 90k in their first year in IB if you include their bonus).

However, if you think you could manage maths or CS I'd probably recommend that over Econ even tho I study Econ. The degrees are just much more scalable and useful in the job market.
I feel like I could handle Maths and CS however I have little to no interest in computing, or programming and I feel Maths on its own would bore me. What uni do you study at if you don't mind me asking?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (129)
34.96%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (49)
13.28%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (22)
5.96%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (36)
9.76%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (49)
13.28%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (43)
11.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (41)
11.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed